Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L.A.C. Thomas Foxcroft, died 1946

Thanks

Default L.A.C. Thomas Foxcroft, died 1946

Ladies and Gents, who can help me with this one?

LAC Thomas Francis FOXCROFT, 1012192 died on May the 6th 1946. CWGC has him listed as being a 100 Squadron man, but the 100 Squadron ORB makes no mention of him or indeed any incident, on that date, or at any time in the preceeding two months.. The squadron at the time were preparing for a move from Scampton to Lindholme, which happened on the 8th of May 1946.

Thinking that perhaps he had been one of the Far East PoWs and had finally succumbed to injuries / maltreatement, etc., after being repatriated back home, i checked Les Stubbs' excellent "Unsung heroes of the RAF....". No mention of him in there either.

He has been mentioned on a previous thread on this board in 2003, but only by virtue of the fact that he is buried in Lancaster (Scorforth) Cemetery and someone was looking for information on another Airman buried there.

If anyone can cast any light on the circumstances surrounding his death, i'd be very grateful.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Default Thomas F Foxcroft

Hello Greg
    His death was registered in Lancaster in Q2 1946, Vol 8e 770.
    He was aged 32.
    You could apply for his Death cert and see what it has on it.
    Regards
    Andy

Thanks

Andy - many thanks indeed for your reply to this, and my other (Goodhand), thread. I was hoping that someone might be able to confirm (or, more likely in my opinion, deny) that the two menwere both with 100 Squadron.

In the meantime though, i'll apply for their death certificates using the gen you've posted. I've never actually applied for a death certificate before - is there normally a charge, and is it simply a case of writing a letter of application to the local register office of the cunty where burial took place?

Thanks again Andy :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Default Thomas F Foxcroft

Greg

I was the preson interested in LAC Foxcroft.

I was researching all the airmen on the Lancster War Memorial for a Book of Rememberance.

This book has now be printed and presented to the local library, however neither I, or the author Jim Denis, could find no info on him. His surname is very popular in this area and I did speak to a few Foxcrofts in my research but never got any where.

I didn't think of the death Certificate route and would be prepeared to ask in Lancaster about this for us both. Of the 62 RAF names on the memorial I could only not find the details on 4, Foxcroft being one.

I am off to Aberdeen for the next three days on a business trip, But can ask about him on Thursday when I am at home doing my admin from the trip.

Why are you interested in him may I ask?

Cheers

Alastair.

Thanks

Quote:
    "In the meantime though, i'll apply for their death certificates using the gen you've posted. I've never actually applied for a death certificate before - is there normally a charge, and is it simply a case of writing a letter of application to the local register office of the county where burial took place?"

His death certificate should be available from the GRO and will cost you a tenner, see the following link
    http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/deaths/obtainingdeathcertificates/certificatefees.asp:

Certificates usually take 3 or 4 weeks to arrive.

Regards
    Max Williams

Thanks

Max - many thanks, i've just ordered the two certificates online, and because Andy had kindly supplied the references above, they only cost me 7 each and the order should be processed in 4 working days rather than 4 weeks.

Alastair - my interest LAC Foxcroft is that he appears on the CWGC Roll of Honour for 100 Squadron. I can find no mention of him whatsoever in the Squadron ORBs (or indeed LAC Goodhand, who died at the end of Jan 1946, and also appears on the CWGC 100 Squadron Roll) and i have some doubts as to whether he was actually on squadron strength at the time of his death. I have a suspicion that both men may have died once they got back home, but as a result of their captivity at the hands of the Japanese, but at the moment i have no provenance for this. Certainly neither man appears in Ray Stubbs wonderful book listing those RAF PoWs in the Far East. Once i have Foxcroft's death certificate, i'll let you know if it contains anything of note. If you can turn anything up in Lancaster, i'd be pleased to hear of it.

Andy - do you mind if i ask where you got the death certificate references from for these men? Thanks in advance :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Default GRO Refences

Hello Greg,
    I use the web site www.ancestry.co.uk.
    I have an annual subsription but I think you can pay per view.
    You can also use the site www.findmypast.co.uk, again this is a pay to view site but can be very useful.
    RAF Overseas Death index 1939-1945 is easy to use on this site.
    Happy to Help
    Regards
    Andy
    Cymru am byth!

Thanks

Thanks Andy - i think i'll try a one month trial subscription over there and see how much extra gen i can get :)

And yes, Cymru am Byth indeed!! Except when we're playing the Sprinbox.... :rolleyes:

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Hi Greg
    With your 2 men do you have any info on any other unit they might have served on with the No 100? I ask because I have had 2 instances of CWGC having a unit as **Sqn when in one case they had 31 Sqn and omitted SAAFwith the No and in another case they had12 Sqn and the enquirer found that his AC1 was with 12 Balloon Gp and was 1 of 10 who lost their lives at Dieppe on LCT's
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Dick - i hadn't considered those possibilities. Many thanks for the tip-off, i'll be onto it later this evening :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison