Thread: Aircraft accidents, 'R.O.S.' and 'T.O.S.'??

Thanks

Default Aircraft accidents, 'R.O.S.' and 'T.O.S.'??

I am sure I've asked this before, but my search facility isn't working, and after searching over 100 pages I havent found it!

With regards aircraft accidents, I have noted on several movement cards either 'R.O.S.' or 'T.O.S.'. Can anyone confirm the meaning? I seem to recall it was something like 'Replaced on strength' and 'Transferred off strength' or similar. I have a date on a movement card as 'R.O.S.' but have found the accident was about two weeks before.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Unverified 9395; 23rd August 2012 at 11:42. Reason: Typo!

Thanks

Repairable on site by unit.

Thanks

Thanks David. I always thought 'ROS' was 'repaired on site' but it confuses things a little.

I have entries on a movement card stating a Lanc went to No. 1660 CU on 24/8/43, then 'ROS' on 22/12/43, before coming back to No. 1660 CU on 29/1/44.

This would indicate a heavy accident around December 21st for it to be repaired on site from the 22nd. The entry 'ROS' is accompanied by '58 MU'. They were based at Newark, but concerned with the salvage of crashed aircraft (although I dont suppose ts beyond possibility they repaired the odd one...?) However, I have since found an accident card noting a collision with another Lanc on December 4th, and the damage declared 'Category B', which is 'Beyond repair on site (repairable at a Maintenance Unit or Contractors works).

This poses several questions...

1) If damaged severely on the 4th, why was 58 MU involved if she was to be repaired?
    2) If she was repaired on site following an accident around December 21st, why did it take almost 5 weeks? Surely something that severe would have been repaired off site?

Hmmm, any takers...?

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

David:

Am pretty certain ROS means Repaired on Site and that 58 MU went to the location to make the repairs. Whether the date means the day the work started or was finished is hard to say - that's always been a puzzle to me in reviewing Form 78s.

Dates on Form 78s are not always reliable or easy to interpret due to delays in reporting and likely different understandings even then of what the terms meant. I've found many instances of reliably documented events, say from logbooks, not matching Form 78 date entries.

TOS usually means Taken on Strength.

Robert

Thanks

The delay may not have related to the severity of damage but to a shortage of parts, lack of skilled manpower, backlog of work or even something as mundane as waiting for hangar space to become available.
    Ian

Thanks

From a few RCAF records where I have independant sources of dates TOS (Taken on Strength) by a repair organization and dates when actual work on site began, it appears that the ownership transfer (TOS) was usually made quickly, probably as soon as it was decided the repair was beyond the original owner of the aircraft. The actual date when work started could be days or even weeks later, when parts, tools and people made it to wherever the aircraft was physically located.

Thanks

To Airman 1
    I had been called up in mid august 42 and when I completed my training I was sent to 58MU based in Newark. At some point I was sent to RAF Swinderby to repair two Lancasters. One had a damaged wing tip, the other had a damaged nose. Both repaired repaired on site (ROS), I cannot recall what TOS was. ROS was used in the paper work at the start of the repair and the final paper work was referred to as "ROS repaired". In all it took us 3 months to repair both aircraft. The nose cone joint ring had to be repaired, so took some time. The accident happened as the wing tip caught the nose cone of the other aircraft. I did take photos of some of the craashed aircraft and out party but not of these particular ones. It was too risky to have a private camera on the airfield.