Thread: Aircraft Damage Categories 1945/46

Thanks

Default Aircraft Damage Categories 1945/46

I ahve a list of aircraft damage catecories 1941 to 1952, but have recently found a'new' one, not on my list. 'Category A' relates to 'Aircraft can be repaired on site'. However, the new one is (or at least looks like) 'Category AR'.

Can anyone confirm what it is? Or is it just a new designation for the above? Date I have for its use is September 1945.

Thanks

Could you forward me the list of Damage categories, I am interested in the class C, that I beleive the lancaster my father was in was given after a forced landing at Manston.(after a mission to the gremburg MY ast Cologne December 1944)
    Paul H
    prherodATwaitrose.com

Thanks.

Thanks

The following word document from the RAF Museum is a good primer for the category/date of usage

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/default/archive-collection/aircraft-records.aspx

(scroll down down and click on either the pdf or word document)

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Those listed on the RAF Museum document are the same as I have, although I have a note of these prefixes:

FB - Operational Loss
    GA - Ground Accident
    T - Technical Cause
    EA - Enemy Action

These came off a document at the National Archives about 20 years ago.

Thanks

FB is Flying, Battle and is used to denote damage due to enemy action and used to differentiate from FA (Flying, Accident) ie damage not due to enemy action.

An operational loss could be caused by events other than enemy action.

An example is a Hudson denoted as FA which, although on on operational flight, crashed due to the pilot not being tall enough to reach the fuel cocks and switch them over before the engines cut due to fuel starvation.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I agree, although thats 'as was' on the PRO document...

Thanks

Hello Airman 1

It would seem that you got your categories from Appendix 2, pages 118 & 119 from PRO Readers' Guide No 8 "RAF Records in the PRO", I have seen the ones you listed (in your post #4) are identical to p.119.

However, according to the official Air Ministry War Manual A.P. 1301 of 1939, Ross is correct.
    FB = "Flying Battle casualty"

I noted in a later WW2 Air Ministry War Manual that "FB" was used for both "Flying Battle casualty" and "Flying Battle casualty operational loss"

Incidentally, some friendly fire incidents were categorised as FB it seems, as the official paperwork regarding my Grandfather's aircraft loss which struck a balloon cable immediately before they crash landed, has "FA" initially on the first signal, followed by "FB" on all the later Signals. The No. 4 Group ORB states that one of the two Whitley aircraft which struck a balloon cable that morning had been engaged by friendly fire, but not damaged.

Therefore, it appears that "FB" was used to denote any "Flying Battle casualty" with the enemy and also your own side too on occasions.

There was also a Loss Card for the crew which the RAF Museum stated were only completed when enemy action was being blamed.

Incidentally, the 2nd Pilot got out of the aircraft after crash landing and it is interesting to note that the Royal Air Force Roll of Honour in The Times, London has the 2nd Pilot in a separate list as "Killed on Active Service"..."on the Ground Through Enemy Action". The other 4 crew are "Killed in Action (while flying in operations against the enemy)".

On the Accident Card it has AO = "Air Operations".

The loss of the aircraft is "AO" (Air Ops) as it was not damaged in the Flying Battle, but the crew casualties in the file are officially "FB" ("Flying Battle Casualty").

The identity of the other aircraft involved remains a total mystery, the MoD claim the accident ('A' numbered) file is destroyed and only have the 'P' numbered file and I should like to know! I have been told by one of the other families of the crew who learned from an official after the war that the Whitley was involved in an incident over the English Channel and only just made it back before crashing.

A local family were told by the balloon crew that the Whitley had been hit by enemy fire, had veered to miss their house, striking a balloon cable and that the Pilot was a hero in avoiding the two houses and crash landing just opposite the house, one of which had a family of nine.

But the only action recorded by No. 4 Group is friendly fire! Also, in AIR 14/363 for the No. 4 Group Whitleys, August 1940 list there are no Whitley aircraft attributed to enemy fire on this op!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 25th August 2012 at 22:12.