Thread: Tiger Moth paint scheme

Thanks

Default Tiger Moth paint scheme

Could anyone point me in the right direction for the paint scheme for a Tiger Moth at 13 EFTS White Waltham in July 1940 ?
    Thank you
    James

Thanks

I suggest that the standard scheme would be Dark Green and Dark Earth on the upper wings and fuselage, Light Green and Light Earth on the lower wings, with Yellow undersides going halfway up the fuselage sides. Aircraft were probably coded 1 to 72: one example is T7093, code unknown.

There are a number of possible qualifications - apparently some aircraft may have been flying with the later scheme of camouflage taken fully down the fuselage. Having been founded by the DH School of Flying some of the aircraft may have retained their civil registrations, at least on the fuselage. I don't know that this is true of 13 EFTS, but it did happen in some places.

It might be worth a look in Stuart Mackay's book on the Tiger Moth.

Thanks

Dear Graham
    Thank you for your very detailed and helpful suggestion. I was not sure if it would have been "all yellow", "all Camouflage" or a mixture of both. However the possibility of the DH School of flying is another possibility. I will certainly look at the book for more clues.
    Thank you
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Two other books might be interesting, to you and anyone else following this thread. There is the very new Airfile No.5 RAF Trainers, which is a collection of artwork covering the period 1918-45, and hence with several examples of Tiger Moths. This enjoyable book does lack the detailed chronology of changes which can be found in the much older Airfix Magazine Guide 11, RAF Camouflage of WW2, by Michael JF Bowyer. It is possible that the training units were not as prompt as the frontline squadrons and catching up with such rule changes, of course.

I can't find anything directly dealing with 13 EFTS in any of these three books.

Thanks

Dear Graham
    Thank you again. You have been very helpful. I think a trip to my local aviation bookshop is looming.
    Best wishes
    James