Thread: SPVA Proof of Kinship?

Thanks

Default SPVA Proof of Kinship?

Hello,

I am about to try and claim my Grandfather's medals, he was an Instrument Repairer I in No.4271 Service Echelon, attached to 271 Sqn RAF, between March 1940 and December 1945. Im doing this on behalf of my father. The Veterans UK site states my father will need to provide 'proof on kinship' to the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency at Innsworth House.

Could somebody who has already successfully applied for medals advise as to what 'proof of kinship' is accepted?

Thank you.

Thanks

We have just had to provide proof of kinship to the RAF Air Historical Branch to obtain information about our grandfather.

As he was KIA during the war, this involved completing and signing a form and sending the death certificate of our grandmother (thereby confirming that our mother was next of kin).

I am assuming the procedure will be much the same for the medal office, although they may also require the death certificate of your grandfather if he was not killed in service.

Have you checked if there are any instructions on their website (assuming there is one)

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

I do have my Grandfather's death certificate, but not my Grandmother's.

I have sent the same question via email to the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency at SPVA-Medals@mod.uk

Thought I might try the forums as well and possibly get a quicker answer.

Thanks for your advice PeteT

Thanks

Reen

I believe that your grandmother will be deemed to be next of kin, hence the likely need for her death certificate to prove that kinship has been passed down to your father.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Normally, you would need to provide the registered NoK's death certificate (Nan's?) and the birth certificate of the next in line (Nan's son/your Father?). This obviously proves the relationship. Copies should suffice.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

My partner applied for his brothers medals here in NZ this is what we provided - my partners B/cert, his drivers licence, parents death cert, and brothers birth/death cert, cremation cert, plus we pulled off an Ancestry Family tree - copied them all got them certified by a lawyer - got the medals in 10 days with a phone call saying thanks for providing so much info it helped speed up things. Therefore my advice for what it's worth do a "paper overload" of anything you think is relevant, if you have docs from the RAF etc with your grandfathers name/service number on copy it as well in this case more is good.

Good luck hope it works out for you there is nothing like the pride one feels in getting these "badges of courage" especially from a person who is deceased.

Dyan