Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo Comments

Thanks

Default Photo Comments

Hi all,

I'm trying to identify the unit this Hurricane was assigned to, the markings are quite unusual with M & P either side of the roundel and what appears to be a letter E on the fin.

I looks to me as if this may be a Hurricane Mk.IV but I'm open to suggestions.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11511442/Image%20%2854%29.jpg

Many thanks,
    Last edited by JimCorbett1977; 2nd March 2011 at 19:53.
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Default Hurricane pic

Hi Jim

Isn't it a Hurri IIc?

And is that a 'B' on the tail fin?

Ian

Thanks

Hi Ian,

I'm no expert on Hurricane marks but you may be right on both counts. It could also be a B on the fin but it is difficult to tell as it appears to butt up against the rudder.

My other post regarding the Commanding Officer of 55 OTU may relate to this. I wonder if the markings are personalised markings of the Commanding Officers aircraft. The codes are rather unusual.

Suggestions welcome!

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hi Jim,

'M-P' could be the pilots initials ie. Douglas Baders aircraft was coded 'D-B' if I remember correctly. Have you any idea of the name of chap standing next to it?

Russ

Thanks

Hi Russ,

That's what I'm wondering. Seems a strange code combination what with the E or B on the fin too. Looks very likely it is a Mk.IIB, rather than a Mk.IV however.

Anyone know if any Mk.I's were converted to Mk.IIB's?

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

I thought the Mk.IIB was equipped solely with .303 machine guns (12 of them) rather than 4 x 20mm cannon.

The letter in the fin looks more like an E than a B, you can see the indented centre horizontal of the E and on a B you would be able to see at least part of the curved portion of the letter. There is also a faint but still distinct between then end of the letter and the back of the fin where the rudder should be (if it wasn't fully to starboard).

Oh, I've checked the pages I copied from the 55 OTU ORB and I don't have anything from May 42 and the June pages don't have the month end with whoever signed it off.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks for the comments Alan,

Just took a closer look at the underside of the nose, is that a large airscoop I can see there or just dinted panelling?

I'll tell you now that this photo comes from the brother of Sgt Corran Perry Ashworth, pilot of Hurricane W9348 which we now believe came down at Kirndean Farm, Newcastleton. According to the source the image shows Sgt Corran Perry Ashworth's prang in the CO's Hurricane. Sgt Ashworth's logbook only records one crash in a Hurricane, that of W9348. However this machine was a Mk.I.

I welcome further thoughts.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Could it be a training one and issued with letters of the alphabet?
    Motherbird

Thanks

Hi. Did your pilot serve overseas at some point ? That certainly looks to me like a tropical air scoop filter under the nose, or am i mistaken ??????
    Ian

Thanks

Those codes may hold the key. I do believe the pilot was in North Africa at some point. I'll find out with which units and maybe those initials on the fuselage may be the commanding officers personal aircraft.

Can't really tell if that is a tropical airscoop or not, it could just be damage to the underside of the nose caused by the props breaking apart.

I'll keep you all posted.

Jim
    Jim Corbett