Thread: Wellington Rear Gunners

Thanks

Default Wellington Rear Gunners

Can anyone confirm that the early rear gunners on Wellingtons were not fitted with rear doors, and if so when did they become fitted. Any help warmly received-

Thanks

I'm certain all those with Frazer-Nash turrets will have had rear doors, so the question must apply to the early Vickers gun positions. In these the guns moved, but the gunner sat under a fixed transparent fairing. There seems to be no need to there to have been any door for this installation.

This is only deduction: I don't know the answer for sure.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

recently working on Welington profiles, Vickers Wellington by 4+ publication lying on my table. There are plenty of shorts of FN turrets but no of the early one.
    But I fully agree with Graham - I think there were no doors in the early version of gun turret.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Wellington rear gunner position

I concur with Pavel; there is a cutaway diagram of the Wellington in the "Aeroplane" magazine of the 5th July, 1939 which plainly shows no door to the rear gunner's turret....
    Andy Wis (Brooklands Volunteer)

Thanks

I would like to note a message of thanks to Andy who forwarded a drawing showing no doors on the early type of Wellington. It is my assumption that later models were fitted with rear gunners doors to reduce draft within the aircraft.

Thanks

Default Wellington turrets

Hi Colin

Just wondering, for those of us who haven't seen what Andy's sent you, is that a drawing of the Wellington 1? (and does it therefore show that Graham's post at No.2 is correct?)

Like Graham, I can understand that 'proper' rotating turrets like in the Mks 1a and 1c with 2 and 4 guns respectively would have to have doors for when they turned, but a simple perspex-covered position with guns poking out (as in the Mk 1's) - not being a 'turret' as such - wouldn't need them? Are we correct in this?

Regards

Ian

Thanks

Ian.

Yes quite correct-it was almost a fixed arrangement with what appears to have been a fixed chair for the gunner to sit upon.

Thanks

There is another point that may be being made - the turret has doors but are there doors in the fuselage to prevent draughts from around the turret? I would assume not.