Thread: Alone I Fy

Thanks

Default Alone I Fy

A few months ago I bought a copy of Bill Bailey's 'Alone I Fly: A Wellington Pilot's Desert War' (Pen and Sword). It purports to be memoir of his RAFVR service, and central to it is his tour with 104 Squadron, operating from Egypt in 1942. The opening chapters deal with a crash on his first op., as second pilot, which he alone survived, and I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to identify the date (never given), and the identity of the other aircrew. I cannot trace a loss in 1942 which accords with Bailey's account, nor can I trace casualties which might be linked with such a loss. The pilot is said to be an RCAF man called Stephens, and the navigator Rogers. Neither appear in the CWGC website.

Now these may be pseudonyms, which Bailey uses elsewhere calling the flight commander de Courcy, for instance but since i cannot identify a 104 Squadron loss that fits what Bailey tells us, I am reluctantly considering whether the first op crash may be fantasy. Can anyone shed light which might determine whether this is so or not? I asked Pen and Sword to forward an email of mine to Mr Bailey's family (which they did), hoping the family could, from his logbook, verify the acount, providing a date, names and serial. But I have heard nothing.

David

Thanks

David
    I think there was a discussion of this book a while ago and whether the subject was fact or fantasy .I read it [as my father was in 104 RAF -but later in Italy] and wondered about the authenticity .I gave it away to a charity book collection .It was a good read in many ways .
    I also wondered about the name, Bill Bailey, as many of those airmen with Bailey as a surname were called Bill .
    I know one whose first name was Harold .

Who was the original Bill Bailey by the way ?
    Anne

Thanks

He was somebody who wouldn't go home Anne

Thanks

Google is your friend for the old threads guys. The sticky note on front page explains it. Or just google search with the term rafcommands in the search field as well as what your looking for. Lots of duplicated threads

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?12572-Alone-I-Fly-104-Sqn
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Norman
    Found the song on google !
    Thank you
    Anne

Thanks

I was going to look through "Bomber Losses in the ME & Med" but as this is co authored by David Gunby the originator of this post had second thoughts !

Any news of the other volumes in this series David ?

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Not good news, I am afraid. Ian Allan are not currently interested, though some time in the future they might take volume two on as a print on demand. Pel and I may have to self-publish.

David

Thanks

David,

Picky lot, those publishers. Particularly when you see some of the rubbish being spewed out by some of them (including, Alone I Fly - worthy of a two-pager in FlyPast, at best).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 3rd September 2012 at 19:10.