Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Halifax Heavy Conversion Unit syllabus

Thanks

Just noticed that too. He was definitely a pilot as I have a photo of him as a Sgt and later WO with pilot wings and 2 entries as 2nd pilot (466 sqn and 10 sqn).

I will be visiting the archives here in Ottawa, Canada and will be looking up the records for 6 EFTS and 39 SFTS which were in Saskatchewan.

Thanks

I recently completed a career report on a pilot who after being an instructor, was posted to 1658 HCU, and towards the end of his course he was posted to 158 Sqn at Lissett, where his records state "attached on c/a to 1658 CU", which I took to mean 'on completion of attachment'. My interpretation was that as 1658 only had 'old' Halifax IIs and Vs, crews were attached to operational squadrons to carry out operational sorties at the end of the course in Halifax IIIs.

After 158 he was posted straight to 635 Sqn in 8 Group.

Malcolm

Thanks

A possible reason for his delay although there is no mention in his records is that he went on a pre-conversion course or two. There seems to have been changes to the training schedule in the month he joined 1663 HCU.

This is from 41 Base ORB for December 1943, 41 Base was the administrative HQ of 1663 HCU:-

A new pre-Conversion Unit Course of ground instruction has been inaugurated at RAF Station Driffield, to keep pupils fresh during their wait for absorption into Conversion Units.

A look in 43 Base ORB (Driffield) for December 43 reveals a bit more:-

The courses being held at No 4 Group Aircrew Co-operation School are designed to give each member of our aircrew a working knowledge of the duties of other members of the crew, thus ensuring closer co-operation. Courses will follow on at the end of the 18 day Battle courses, and will be of 12 days duration, the whole of the training (Battle and Technical) remaining under the control of the OC Battle School.

From what I can gather 4 Group Battle School at Driffield was introduced to act as a delay for when there was a glut of aircrew coming to the end of their training but no foreseeable places on operational squadrons for them to be allocated to.

Further reading here http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...-Battle-School and here http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ocation-please

Not conclusive by any means but it would account for a month of his time if he attended the courses.

Thanks

Thanks Pete. All good additional info. My uncles daughter said that he like many bomber vets didn't talk much about the war since few civilians understood it so piecing the time line together is helpful.

Do you know if the HCU or OTU kept course nominal rolls or photos?

Thanks

I haven’t seen 10 OTU’s records so I couldn’t say, but I’m afraid there is no nominal role for 1663 HCU, or course photos in their records. I’ve sent you a PM concerning the ORBs that there are for the time your great uncle was with them.

Thanks

hello

For training units, it's hit and miss. Very few has course lists (or rolls as you call them) and even fewer have course pictures. Or sometimes only for a period of time...

Joos

Thanks

funny that the ORBs always record the trivia like weather and Gp Capt so and so visiting but not the important stuff like peoples names!

Thanks

Hello,

I recently stumbled across the syllabus for the HCUs. They are available from my Google drive at https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kGxMtC1tONLxZR . I hope they're helpful.

Mike,

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anglin.mj For This Useful Post:

Pat (12th November 2019),PeteT (12th November 2019)