Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Halifax Heavy Conversion Unit syllabus

Thanks

Apols to resurrect this thread, but has anyone heard of a pilot at 1663 CU doing an operational sortie as 2nd dickie? My great uncle was supposed to be at 1663 CU starting 8 Dec 1943 and posted to 10 Sqn on 29 March but did a flight with 466 Sqn RAAF to Leipzig in Feb 1944 (technically right in the middle of his course).
    Thanks
    Danny (newb)

Thanks

Danny,
    Even allowing for winter weather and Christmas, 4 months seems a very long time for an HCU course. Are the details you quote taken from his record of service, or from his log book?
    David D

Thanks

Danny
    Is it possible that your relative had completed his course, was sent to 466 Sqn, then returned to the HCU as a result of an accident or crash and was then posted to 10 Sqn? I have seen this happen before. Surviving members of a crew being returned to the HCU either for more training or to crew up with another crew. A lot of crews would pick up a Flight Engineer or second Air Gunner on arrival at the HCU.

Regards
    Daz

Thanks

1663 HCU did send pilots to fly as 2nd dickie with operational squadrons, unfortunately these went unrecorded in the ORB - unless the pilot failed to return.
    In February 44 they lost F/O Cant detached to 640 Squadron for 2nd pilot duties and F/S Everett detached to 51 Squadron for 2nd pilot duties, both on the 21/22 to Leipzig.
    I agree with the above comments regarding the length of time spent there, 4 months is too long for an HCU conversion course.

Pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete102 View Post
    I agree with the above comments regarding the length of time spent there, 4 months is too long for an HCU conversion course.

Pete
    Impossible to know from ORB what other factors were in play. Just as an e.g., there was an outbreak of flu in early 1944. If a crewmember went sick, the crew might have finished on a later course. That's only conjecture, but there would be many other real life things that happened without troubling the archivists.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers and questions gents: - His service record shows date of movement to 1663 at 8/12/43 and movement to 10 Sqn was 29/3/44 although there's alot of corrections over that entry and it looks like 102 Sqn was written originally (another 4 Group Halifax unit). I checked the 102, 51 and 76 Sqn ORBs and no flights recorded him.

Thanks

As for completing the course and posting to 466 - not sure. I only have one entry for him between Jan and Apr in 466 Sqn. I will have to check all the ORBs in 4 Group eventually!! I know his last one was 10 April 1944 becuase he was shot down and taken POW (I visited the crash site a few weeks ago).

Thanks

If it is possible could you post the applicable page of his record Danny, or at least his name.
    Last edited by pete102; 30th June 2016 at 18:00. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Here is the segment of his records (Sgt Thomas Albert Crossman # 1324526)

https://goo.gl/photos/FryS1QPz8Munm5Uz5

Let me know if the link works.

Thanks

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look through the Base and Station ORBs to see if anything is mentioned, one thing confusing me though is the A/B Under Training on 31/12/43.