Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halifax MZ289

Thanks

Default Halifax MZ289

For an acquaintance who is researching a relative: Can anyone provide information on the loss of Halifax MZ289, DY*J, lost on 17 September 1944?

Looking for details and location of loss, and any info on fate of crew.

Thanks

From Chorley's BCL

18 Sep 1944

102 Sqdn Halifax III MZ289 DY-J Training

Capt R C Thompson SAAF +
    Sgt R Aitchison +
    F/s G S Reader RAAF +
    Sgt R I White +
    W/O H L Locke +
    Sgt G V Greening +
    Sgt G B Gibson +

T/o Pocklington to dispose of bombs over North Sea. Lost without trace. All are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. Capt Thompson SAAF came from Umtata in the Cape Province.

Thanks

Hi Bill
    There is a footnote to Chorley's entry on this a/c which he has as lost on 17/9/44 "An unconfirmed report states that this Halifax crashed 40 mtrs from the Aaldonk to Reichswald road nr Ottersum(Limburg) E of the Maas(river) and on the N E outskirts of Gennep,Holland. If this is correct then the crew were way off course". Chorley records all as being on the Runnymede memorial but CWGC has the RAAF Nav, F/Sgt G S READER as being buried in Milsbeek Cemetery although there is no reference to this on Reader's Casualty File which has been digitised. The Cemetery is not far from Gennep. I don't know if it is significant but 17/9/44/was the commencement of Operation Market Garden and the rumoured Crash site , and the cemetery are both close to the main axis of the parachute operations on the line Eindhoven, Nijmegen,Arnhem
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 1st April 2008 at 08:24.

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Bill and Dick,

I just had a look at <a href='http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=2105291&mode=1'>Mil sbeek War Cemetery</a>. Looks like this was not the original burial place of F/Sgt Reader, as most graves date from 1945. It's for Dutch standards a big war cemetery - so I suppose many of the men buried here were previously buried in field graves.

Captain Ronald C. Thompson, SAAF 206162V, age 23, 17/09/1944, missing
    Sergeant Robert Aitchison, RAFVR 1824340, age 23, 17/09/1944, missing
    Sergeant Robert I. White, RAFVR 1671475, age 21, 17/09/1944, missing
    Warrant Officer Horace L. Locke, RAFVR 1375820, age 30, 17/09/1944, missing
    Sergeant Gordon V. Greening, RAFVR 1836309, age 20, 17/09/1944, missing
    Sergeant Granville B. Gibson, RAFVR 1699599, age 28, 17/09/1944, missing

As far as I can see there are no NN graves at Milsbeek. If the missing men are buried as NN's, they could be buried at Jonkerbos War Cemetery in Nijmegen or on one or more of the smaller CWGC cemeteries in the supposed crash area; see <a href='http://www.epibreren.com/rs/oorlogsgraven.html'>CWGC Cemeteries Netherlands</a>

The Reichswald Forest War Cemetery in Germany could also be a possible burial site for these missing men.

Regards,

Bart
    Last edited by Bart FM Droog; 1st April 2008 at 11:15.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. As so often happens here, we found as many new questions as answers.

Thanks

It's my opinion that MZ289 was lost over sea. An UNCONFIRMED report states this Halifax crashed 40 metres from the Aaldonk to the Reichswald road near Ottersum, E of the River Maas and on the NE outskirts of Gennep.
    This was NOT the location of the crash, however the place where the remains (of Reader ??) were found.
    It's believed that the remains were NOT those of F/Sgt G.S. Reader, RAAF 427548, but an American C-47 of Glider Pilot.
    This case is at the moment an instrument of discussion with US authorities.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Typo in previous message:
    C47 "or" Glider Pilot.
    Henk.

whitehalifax Guest

Default Mz289 Dyj

Hi , My name is Paul White my uncle was one of the crewmembers who died in this aircraft . I have been researching this incident on a huge scale for some years now . I can say in this short reply that I have quite a bit of evidence saying that this aircraft DID crash in Holland . This evidence includes , eyewitness accounts , parts of wreckage , a confirmed I.D. of Reader and squadron members accounts of the day of the crash and day later .

Mr Walker I have emailled you .

Regards ,

Paul .

Oh , Nice to meet you all and hope to be involved in many a good topic .
    Last edited by whitehalifax; 26th April 2008 at 07:28. Reason: spellings

Thanks

Hi Paul;

Welcome to the Forum. Can you share some of this extra information with us?

Henk;

Any news from the US on the identity of the body found near Aaldonk?

Thanks

Hello Bill,
    Sofar nothing from the team from Hawaii. This will take a long time of research. What I know is that the gentlemen were over in Holland and the subject was discussed.
    Regards,
    Henk.