Thread: Dfo > dwo?

Thanks

Default Dfo > dwo?

Golly it's a bit quiet around here at the moment isn't it?

I am after two things if anyone can help the queries arise from file correspondence to do with the Airacobra in the RAF in December 1941.

In one piece the DFO Director of Fighter Operations writes to the DWO copied to the DDWO etc. I have seen a lot of AirMin correspondence over the years and I cannot remember ever encountering DWO - any ideas Director of What Operations/Organisation?

Does anyone know who was the DFO in December 1941?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve

DWO = Director of War Organisation

In Jul 1941 the DFO was A/Cdre J W Jones and he was still there in Jul 1942 so it was probably him.

A/Cdre/Act AVM R P M Whitham was DWO over the same period

Malcolm

Thanks

Steve, Hi,
    In early 1940 there was a Deputy Directorate of War Organisation (DDWO). I couldn't see a DWO. By 1942 there was a Directorate of War Organisation (DWO). This may be the sort of thing you're after. The 'W' is probably not likely to be Works - I think they were already AMWD by this time?
    DFO at one stage around that time was an Air Commodore J W Jones - but I can't find him in Malcolm's AO biogs.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Malcolm beat me to it!
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd September 2012 at 10:22. Reason: Photofinish for replies!!!!
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

Jones is there but he changed his name to Whitworth-Jones and ended up as ACM Sir John Whitworth-Jones

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm,
    I was just about to type the same thing when yr post came up!!! B****y sneakey thing of him to do if you ask me?
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Gentlemen

Thanks very much. I find it hard to accept that I have never encountered DWO/Director of War Organisation before. Can either of you confirm whether this Branch existed right through the war or was it possibly renamed during hostilities?

I must say I admire your competitive spirit but I hope you don't fall out too badly...

Malcolm

Thanks very much for your name detail. Should I be able to get that for myself by searching on RAFWEB? If so how should I do that? By the way another name in this context "W M Yool" was William Munro.

Steve

Thanks

Steve/Malcolm,
    I got my info from the Library of Scotland free read/download of some (but only some) AFLs. My steam-driven computer does cough a bit at the file sizes!! I'd never heard of DWO either - my initial thoughts were on the Works side! The title is, however, a bit of an oxymoron. How can you organise a War unless you've got the co-operation of the enemy - which seems to defeat the object of the exercise!!!!
    Malcolm and I are good colleagues. If I find something that's represented by 'xx xxx xx' on one of his pages I let him know. On the other hand if he finds a bemedalled, knighted, Met Man of Air Rank he will let me know. Alas, there seem to have been all too few of them!! Something, I suspect, to do with many CAS's being ex-Fighter Jocks!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Steve

Just go to the Main menu, select 'Personnel' and then go to either 'W' or 'Air Chief Marshals'

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for your reponse I am pleased to say I can find names and I find your site very helpful. The question I wanted to ask was "should I be able to search on job titles eg Director of War Organisation?"

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve

I've had to place my search facility in the Members' Area, which will also eventually include details of the personnel posted to the Air Ministry.

Malcolm