Thread: 197688 f/o John Edmund Adams

Thanks

Default 197688 f/o John Edmund Adams

Hi All,

I'm trying to trace the service history of the above Flying Officer who was killed on 20/11/1945 & commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial as John Edmund, service No. 197688

His birth is registered at Newcastle-upon-Tyne in Q3 1924 also as John Edmund (the parents details match the CWGC record).

Now my confusion starts....

The London Gazette of 26 Jun 1945 details his commission/promotion from Flight Sergeant (NCO svc No. 1548856 ) => Pilot Officer (197688) on 17-Mar 1945, but names him as Jonathan Edward ADAM. The Air Force list of Jul 1945 also has him as Jonathan Edward ADAM.

Are these two different airmen (& svc no been mixed), or same airman (& name has been mixed up). Any help to solve this (but also to the cause of death) would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Dave

Thanks

Delta Golf,

Being as sensitive as I can - here is some information about the man you seek.

I can confirm that the man in question is Pilot Officer John Edmund ADAMS, he was age 21 and although of 245 Sqn he was at (I think Molesworth) doing a Meteor conversion on 1335 CU.

He had been suspended from training as 'temperamentally unsuitable' but in the early hours of the morning he took Meteor III EE316 and flew away from the base. No trace was ever found of him or the aircraft and it is assumed that the aircraft crashed into the North Sea or the English Channel.

I will try to get a handle on his personal number and will post again if I can find it. Post edited to confirm number as 197688

Colin Cummings
    Last edited by Oldduffer; 3rd September 2012 at 06:35.

Thanks

Thanks Colin, much appreciated