Thread: RAF / USAF exchange postings during the war

Thanks

Default RAF / USAF exchange postings during the war

Exchange postings with the USAF have been happening for some time for RAF aircrew.

I was wondering whether this ever happened during the war.

Thanks

I have the medal group to Sqn Ldr T.S (Wimpey) Wade, DFC. AFC. Whilst OC Flying at AFDU he tested the performance of captured enemy aircraft, and in early 1945 went to the USA to test captured Japanese fighters and to gain experience on new American types. Whether this constituted a formal exchange posting, I know not - but he certainly flew and tested aircraft with his American counerparts in their country.

Regards

Jim

Thanks

I would have thought that (a) The Eagle Sqns were a form of Exchange Posting?, and (b) the American in the Catalina that sighted the Bismark would seem to have been on an unoffical Exchange Posting?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I think "exchange posting" is a post war term. A number of aircrew were on loan (in both directions) before the US entered the war, and several US airmen were killed on ops during this time. I think this was kept very low key at the time, to not upset those American voters still supporting neutrality. From memory, similar loans were underway in the RN and the Army as well.

The Eagle Squadrons don't really count. They were RAF units, and the members were RAF - just not born in the UK. Most of them had no prior US military service.

Thanks

As Bill points out the 'exchange posting' is a post-war development and as it states requires an exchange of an RAF officer for one from another national air arm, hte RAF has operated exchange posting with the USAF, USN, USMC, RAAF, RCAF, RNZAF and NATO countries.

Malcolm