Thread: Loss of PB366(AT Kenyon) 35 squadron 24/12/44

Thanks

Default Loss of PB366(AT Kenyon) 35 squadron 24/12/44

Good Morning,

Does anyone have any information about the last flight of PB366, took of from 35 squadron at Graveley at 15.35 24/12/1944 and crashed soon after in Great Paxton. Pilot was F/O Arthur T Kenyon, all the crew perished.

So far I have:-
    Lancaster: PB366
    Mk: III
    Status: Crashed Paxton, Huntingdonshire 24/25-Dec-12 against Cologne
    Service: 32 MU St. Athan del'd 29-7-44, 35 Sqn del'd 7-8-44 TL-S, SOC 12-1-45

Notes: 24/25-12-44: Take off 1535 Graveley. Part of a force of 102 aircraft - 97 Lancasters, 5 Mosquitoes, tasked to attack the Nippes railway yards at Cologne. Using Oboe marking the main force is reported to have bombed with extreme accuracy. Local reports state that the railway tracks were severely damage and that an ammunition train exploded. The Butzweilerhof airfield was also damaged. 5 aircraft, 4.90 percent of the force were lost - 5 Lancasters. Shortly after take off the aircraft flew into some trees and crashed at Paxton, Huntingdonshire. F/O Kenyon is buried in the Prestwich (St. Mary) Churchyard, Lancashire. Sgt. Williams is buried in the Staveley Cemetery, Derbyshire. Sgt. Thomas is buried in the Ystalyfera (St. David) Church Burial Ground, Llangiwg, Glamorganshire. F/Sgt. Cousins is buried in the Maidenhead Cemetery, Berkshire. F/Sgt. Blundell is buried in the Southampton (Hollybrook) Cemetery, Hampshire. Sgt. Winter is buried in the Hayes and Harlington (Cherry Lane) Cemetery, Middlesex. Sgt. Yallop is buried in the Ipswich Cemetery, Suffolk. It is unlikely that the aircraft is included in the raids losses as it crash landed in England.

Crew: F/O A.T.T Kenyon +; Sgt. L. Williams +; Sgt. A. Thomas +; F/Sgt. A.H. Cousins +; F/Sgt. C.L. Blundell +; Sgt. C.A. Winter +; Sgt. R.F.A Yallop +

Production: Part of the ninth production batch of 723 aircraft built by A.V. Roe & Co. Ltd., Newton Heath, Manchester, under Contract No. 1807, in two parts. Part 1 (440 Mk.III's and 1 Mk.I [PB592]). PA964-PA999, PB112-PB158, PB171-PB213, PB226-PB267, PB280-PB308, PB341-PB385, PB397-PB438, PB450-PB490, PB504-PB542, PB554-PB596 and PB609-PB642. Deliveries commenced 5/44; completed 9/44 (average rate of production, approximately 27 aircraft per week.

I think that only 10 aircraft were from 35 squadron, thus only nine making it to target. From the orb PB366 was a 'supporter',

The Paxton mentioned is in fact Great Paxton-being a Great and Little in close proximity.

I'm keen to establish the reason for the loss- was FIDO in use to assist take off - was the aircraft heavily loaded. If FIDO was in use it could easily have affected the air movements on take off, or even temporarily blinded the pilot or f/e.
    Perhaps the facts were never established, was there an enquiry?
    The crash happened only a few miles from where I now live.

In anticipaton,
    Paul H

Thanks

Paul

Have you seen this web page by the Aircrew Rememberence Society?
    http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1944/3/kenyonarthur.html

They suggest FIDO was in use.
    It might be worth dropping them a note.

Martyn

Thanks

thanks Martyn,
    I have seen the web page, but did not think about contacting the webmaster-now rectified.

I have made contact with the present owner of the farm where the crash occured, who has a statement from the NCO i/c of the crash guard from Graveley, who was first on the scene. The bomb load rolled into the ditch alongside the main road, fortunately not exploding.
    I have also heard from a gentleman who lived in the cottage that was hit by the disabled aircraft.

Tahnks for your response.
    Paul H