Thread: 5091st C.S.M.U.

Thanks

Default 5091st C.S.M.U.

Hello,

I'd like to know the meaning of this acronym, connected with the death of LAC Stanislaw Leopold CIESLICKI, a Polish airman posted to that unit, part of No. 131 (Polish) Wing based at B51 Lille-Vendeville.

The wing ORB mentions his accidental death on the 20th of September entry, but there's no other date entry until the 26th, so I think the date on the grave in Fretin cemetery is correct (22nd September).

I think that M.U. may stand for Maintenance Unit maybe ?

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

Not an exact match, but could this be related to Mobile Signals Unit No. 5091 that was part of No. 84 Group.

(Source: Geographical Index of R.A.F. Units December 1944 and May 1945 editions)

Errol

Thanks

Hello Errol,

I'll dig further in this possibility as "5091" is in a range which is not for the Servicing Echelon or RAF Regiment. I don't have "2nd Tactical Air Force volume 4" which I think has a chapter or an appendice about units. Definitively a book I have to get.

Thanks for your help

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss

According to SD161 the unit is No 5091 (Polish) (Type C) Mobile Signals Unit within No 84 Group

Malcolm

Thanks

Hello Malcolm,

You confirm what I suspected since I've been trying to find the meaning of that acronym, some letters have been inverted. I always found M.S.U. for Mobile Signals Unit, as suggested by Errol.

TNA catalogue shows AIR 29/150 containing some M.S.U. files, including HQ 84 Group (Rear) M.S.U., 5500 (Polish) M.S.U. and 5111G M.S.U.. So the 5091 number enters this section in the numbering section. Will give it a try during my next visit at Kew, even if there's no details about Cieslicki, I should learn about the exact job these units were doing.

thanks for your help.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss

If you do find out the roles of the various types of MSU, I would also be interested to know.

Malcolm

Thanks

For an excellent description of a D-Day MSU see post #27 on this thread.

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/allied-units-general/18407-r-f-units-d-day-landings-omaha-beach-3.html

I recommend going the thread from Page 1 to see the range of RAF GCI/radar and Signals units that landed on the beaches, including an attempt by one at Omaha Beach at 11:30 am on 6th June 1944.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default RAF Beach units

Nothing about MU's - but this site might be of interest to some advising of what else the RAF was up to in Normandy

http://www.rafbeachunits.info/index.html

Allan
    Allan Hillman