Thread: NCO service number of two Canadians

Thanks

Default NCO service number of two Canadians

Hello,

Does anybody know the NCO service number (starting with a "R") of :

James R.REBBETOY (later J15741) and Joel H Ashton (later J17890)

Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Phil,

No service number alas, but maybe this is of help: a Sergeant J. R. Rebbetoy arrived from No. 56 OTU to 137 Squadron on 01/10/1941.

Source: <a href='http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/swedish_aviators/haggberg.htm'>Voluntary Swedish aviators in the RAF - Pilot Officer Ralph Otto Gustaf Häggberg, RAF No. 120677</a>

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Hello All,
    There is, in the "Useful Books & Research Material" of this Forum a list of RAF OR Enlistment numbers which was 'borrowed' (with due acknowledgementi) from the "Airforcedeaths" site. It has proved invaluable to me (and others) in researching various individuals (Officer's Numbers seem to need a PhD in Numerology to sort out!!).
    Is it possible that our Canadian colleagues can come up with a similar List? (or Lists - if they can sort out their Officers!!).
    And then deposit those data on the UB & RM section. I have to admit that even if I'd had such lists, trying to get the correct format for interrogating the LG is a total pain!
    Canada - come to our rescue!!!
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 1st April 2008 at 16:46. Reason: Grammatical error with regard to apostrophies

Bart FM Droog Guest

Peter,

What is the URL or title of that post - can't locate it.

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Bart,
    If you go to the "Useful Books & Research Material" section of this Forum, and click on P.3, somewhere down near the bottom of that page is the RAF OR Enlistments Numbers schedule.
    The (UK) Or's are, therefore, relatively simple!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The UK RAF Officer numbers are not as clear. And, as far as I am aware, nobody has produced an equivalent Officer's Number document.
    There must have been a "System" for allocating Service Numbers in Oz, Canada, S Africa, NZ, etc, etc. But whether that system is known for the various Air Forces, and - more importantly - can be interrogated by us mere mortals remains (at least, to me!) something of a mystery.
    If you 'crack it' then please let us know.
    You could qualify for a Doctorate in Numerology if you come up with the answer!!!!!!!!!
    HTH, Rgds
    Peter Davies

Bart FM Droog Guest

Ah!, here it is: <a href='http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27'>RAF/RAF OR Service Numbers</a>, thanks!

Thanks

Yes it is very useful but not for RCAF research - "R" and "J" numbers. I also hope that some of our Canadian friends can put here a similar List?

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Phil

I have the following on these two Canadians for you. Unfortunately not their 'R' numbers though.

Joel Hilton Ashton
    Nationality: Canadian. Rank: Sgt, F/S - 15th March 1942. Squadron: 137. In: 21st December 1941 from OTU. Out: 30th November 1943 Posted. First Op: 21st December 1941. Awards: DFC - 23rd October 1943. Award effective 22nd October 1943 as per the London Gazette dated 5th November 1943 and AFRO 2507/43 dated 3rd December 1943. Hours: 90.23. Sorties: 77. Nickname: Bug Eyes. Remarks: Born in Toronto in 1920, home at Barrie, Ontario or Virden, Manitoba. Enlisted at Winnipeg 23rd October 1940 and trained at 1 ITS (graduated 17th March 1941), 7 EFTS (graduated 4th May 1941) and 1 SFTS (graduated 30th July 1941). Returned to Canada after the war. Award presented 24th June 1945. The citation read, ‘This Officer has completed a very large number of sorties including successful attacks on airfields, shipping and rail communications. He has displayed great skill and determination, setting an example worthy of high praise. These qualities were well illustrated in a recent attack on an installation at Hansweert. Pilot Officer Ashton attacked his objective from such a low level that his aircraft was struck in several places by the flying debris.

James Reginald 'Jimmy' Rebbetoy
    Nationality: Canadian. Rank: Sgt, F/S - 1st March 1942, P/O - 1st October 1942, F/O - 4th April 1943. Squadron: 137. In: 1st October 1941 from 56 OTU. Out: 25th April 1943 KIA. First Op: 1st February 1942. Hours: 100.40. Sorties: 87. Remarks: Shot down and killed whilst attacking a train near Tielt, Belgium in P7058. Aged 26 he was the son of Michael J. & Coral U. Rebbetoy of Cayuga, Ontario, Canada and is buried in Maldegem Canadian War Cemetery, Maldegem, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium, Plot 1.E.2.

I tried using their names/numbers to search the LG but was only able to find Ashton's DFC citation.

Paul