Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Station ORB

Thanks

Default Station ORB

Can some one tell me if I have the right document for Middleton St George ORB.

I have taken this from the NA website and want to make sure I order the correct file.

AIR28/541 Jan 41-Sept 45.
    Does this look like the complete ORB for the station?
    Does the Station ORB have the same forms 540 & 541?
    Is it really just a copy of the Squadron ORB or are the details contained within it of a different nature?

AIR28/542 Apr 41-Jun 42 This is I assume the appendices to go with 541. This is outside the period of interest as 428 Sqdn moved to Middleton in Jun 42.
    AIR28/543 Jul 42-May 43 this is the same as above.
    AIR28/544 Jun 43-May 45 again same as above.

I already have the complete ORB for 428 Sqdn and am hoping to add extra details that may be found the Station ORB and not in the Squadron ORB. Am I correct in thinking that this idea of extra info can be gleamed from these files?

Any advice very welcome

regards

Nick

Thanks

Nick,
    I've just received the Skellingthorpe Station ORB and found it added a lot more information to what i already have from the 50/61sqdn ORB's, and it cleared up a long running mystery over the loss of one of 61sqdn's Lancs, which Chorley does not record in his 1944 volume.

Thanks

Thanks for that Alan

It looks as they may be worth the investment.

But this time I will get them one at a time last lot were 65 but that was money well spent. The only problem is that they do not always scan them at a high enough level to enlarge and be readable.

Nick

Thanks

Just thought I would update you all on these ORB's.

I have been reading lately of many members getting some quotes from the N/A for 10 and thought I would give it a try, just to be curious and see if lady luck would smile on me.

I requested an estimate for AIR28/541 & 544. These I asked for to be retrieved from documents online. So no postage and to tell you the truth it seems a better and quicker way to get these.

Next day my estimate promptly arrive by e-mail: 1,120 each.

which planet do these people live on? Surely the N/A do not want us to stop using their service and put them all out of a job. The quotes are so inconsistant it is almost laughable.

I have been given pointers in other ways to acquire these files and from the prices quoted them that will be the way I go.
    rant over.

Nick

Thanks

Nick,
    I suspect that one of the reasons for the high price, is that the Station ORB's are still in their original formats and not transferred to film. This would mean that a member of the N/A would literally have to copy each page from the original book, and then prepare them for sending digitally via the internet. Whereas, Squadron ORB's are already prepared digitally for this type of service, hence the difference in costs. My quote from N/A for Skellingthorpe ORB was 900, but what i paid via a second party was 29.90.

Thanks

My quote for AIR28/332 was also 1120, above my budget by at least 1100! Back to the drawing board,I only wanted to look at a single months activities for AF Graveley, so maybe a researcher may be cheaper though no guarentee of results.
    Any ideas?
    Paul H

Thanks

Cheers for adding some light on the price question AlanW. I understand why the price has such huge differences. I was unaware of this, hence my estimate request. Don't get me wrong I am no knocking the N/A as such, without their help many of us who cannot get to London very easily would get nowhere with the research. So I will think carefully when I chose the documents I need from no on.

paulh: for a single month a researcher would work out alot cheaper from my experiences.

Plan B is now in order.

thanks again

Nick

Thanks

Typically the Station ORBs are in the region of 300 pages so for a rough budget cost use this figure against the copy rate from whatever agency you choose.

Some as few as 200 pages and the largest I've copied so far approximately 600 pages.

The only one of your list unfortunately is the one you are least interested in

AIR28/542 (Full). RAF Station Middleton St. George, Appendices, April 1941 - June 1942, 311 images - 31.10

Looking at the other ORBs in the AIR 28 series will give a flavour of the relative document sizes.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?11375-Summary-by-File-Reference

I'm clearing the backlog of orders from the Olympic enforced travel restrictions at the moment for TNA copying but will post an announcement on the forum when space appears.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks Ross

Yes I noticed that the one you have on the list is the one I more than likely do not need. The general count for the station ORB's is as you say around the 300 mark, which for the information I hope to gleam is a price worth paying.

When you do get your backlog down if I am still in need let me know.

Cheers
    Nick

Thanks

Default Station ORB's

Hello Nick

1. I am not sure of your situation and whether you can get to TNA, Kew, in person with a suitable camera, or not, but the TNA allow photography, provide adjustable camera stands and I can get pretty reasonably clear ORB page photographs from my old 4 Megapixel Optical Coolpix 4300. Set the camera at home for best setting first.

For the price of a train journey (cheaper if booked in advance) and as long as you take great care of the ORB volume and place paper between your finger tips and the page you should be able to achieve reasonable results with some digital cameras.

I also have an 8 Megapixel Digital Coolpix which is a worse camera than my 4300 (the 8 Megapixel is blurred around the edges even at A5 & A4 size) and I am told that it is the 'optical resolution' that counts (and not the megapixels) and some camera manufacturers / dealers don't seem to state or have the optical resolution information.

I photograph all the left pages including blanks, set the volume on the foam and foam wedges the other way around and photograph all the right side halves.

CHEAPER than a 1,000 plus!!

2. If you are researching a Squadron, you should always check / copy the Station ORB for extra snippets of information. I was led to believe that a Squadron had conducted an air sea search, but there was nothing in the Sqn ORB about the search. However, there was a reference to the ASR search in the Station ORB.

3. If you have not been before, don't forget all your printed current address and accepted photographic ID required to get a Readers Ticket, as the AIR 28, AIR 29 etc., etc., are only issued in the secured reading area. You will need to switch off your flash, (but standard flash obliterates parts of documents & text anyway). I set my camera to the 'fine' and mainly auto setting, but only override to the manual to lighten the image, toward the end of the day, or if the outside daylight drops, due a storm / dark cloud.

4. Sometimes extra information can also be found found in the Group and Command ORBs / Appendices.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 16th September 2012 at 13:04. Reason: added 3 & 4 and reference to camera resolution