Thread: RAF Pilots Pre War and Royal Aero Club Aviators Licences

Thanks

Default RAF Pilots Pre War and Royal Aero Club Aviators Licences

Does anyone know if all RAF Officers automatically got Royal Aero Club Aviators Licences or did they have to apply for them??

For instance P/O Brian Paddon #28097 qualified as pilot in 1929, but obtained his Royal Aero Club Aviator's Licence #10796 on 3 September 1932?

Was it automatic or did you have to apply, or was there a qualification period?

Many thanks

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

One had to apply, and pay a one guinea fee (might have been more later).

The tests for the aviator's certificate were far less stringent than those undergone for RFC/RAF 'wings', so the RAeC accepted evidence of the military tests being passed as adequate qualification for the issuance of its certificate. Needless to say not all military aviators applied, having other priorities for the expendture of a guinea!

Errol

Thanks

Errol

Thanks - that's exactly the answer I was looking for.

BTW it also leads me to a aecond question which i should have asked do you know if the RAeC certificate was a pre-requisite for owning/flying/insuring your own civil aircraft. so if you were a qualified RAF pilot who wanted to fly there own say DH Moth at weekends you needed a RAeC Certificate

This all helps with me trying to debunk a published story from the late 1930's which I believe to be either untrue or with a wrong person identified

kind regards

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

I don't know the answer to your second question, though it possibly lies buried somewhere in the early 1920s issues of 'Flight' magazine.

Errol

Thanks

Errol

Thanks anyway

I will ask on AB-IX

Paul