Thread: LAC Crosskey, Riddle Field, USA

Thanks

Default LAC Crosskey, Riddle Field, USA

Hi People,

Looking for the serial number of the BT-13 that killed LAC R B Crosskey, 1315702.

The crash date of the No.5 British Flying Training School aircraft was 20th January 1942.

Any clues?

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

Have you seen?

http://5bfts.tweedies.biz/arcadia/pages/Crosskey%20accident/Crosskey%20accident%20report.aspx

A quick look does not reveal serial in the 16 page report

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Yes, dredged through that report but did not see any serial, neither is one listed in AAIR accident reports for the 20th of Jan 1942.

I have the F1180 for the accident but unusually for the American training losses the aircraft serial is not given.

I've checked and eliminated the two Alabama losses on this day of #41-259 and #41-755 to confirm those serials against pilots.

Bit of a dead end at the moment.

Surprised that Henk had not questioned his death details as he did raise questions about other Arnold men.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross,

Re: the Alabama accidents:

20-1-1942A. Verbena, Alabama.

At 0350, a North American AT-6A (41-259), on a night navigation training flight crashed near Verbena, Alabama, killing RAF Flying Cadet Edgar Hopkin. The student became lost attempting to return to Napier Field, Dorhan, Alabama, and attempted a forced landing when his fuel became exhausted. He had last checked in on time at 0300.

20-1-1942B. Craig Field, Alabama.

At 0840, A North American AT-6A (41-755), crashed two miles southeast of Craig Field, Selma, Alabama, killing RAF Flying Cadet Alfred B. Kinnear. Investigators speculated that the pilot, in the act of raising the landing gear after an unusually long take-off roll, put his head down in the cockpit and inadvertently flew the airplane into trees 2,000 feet from the end of the runway. The airplane bounded back into the air for a few moments before descending at high speed into heavily wooded terrain. The airplane broke off trees and was torn to pieces as it smashed to the ground.

See:
    Fatal Army Air Forces Aviation Accidents in the United States, 1941-1945. Volume 1: Introduction, January 1941-June 1943.
    Mireles,Anthony J.
    Jefferson:McFarland & Company,2006.
    p.45. (A/c. serials confirmed Vol.3. p.1209).

Unfortunately, Mireles does not mention the 20-1-1942, Riddle Field accident, at all!

Col.

Thanks

Col

It was a night trainming op.. Can you check 19th and 21st as well?

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul,

I read the report, found it minutes after Ross had posted the details.

Mireles' books (3-vols.), are extensively indexed. They are cross-referenced by Aircraft manufacturer, location, and name of fatality. The entries are arranged chronologically. If the incident was mentioned in the books, l would have found it.

Seems strange that AAIR also slipped up on this one. Might be more to it than meets the eye.

Col.

PS. Copies of other material, on their way in the morning.

Thanks

Col

Thanks for this and look forward to other info

Kind Regards

Paul

Thanks

Default LAC Crosskey, Riddle Field, USA.

Hi all,
    The reason you cannot find it in Tony Mireles' books is that there will no USAAF Form 14 record card for the accident.

The USAAF investigated accidents involving RAF pilots at Arnold Schools but not those at British Flying Training Schools.

Riddle Field was the location of No.5 B.F.T.S and so most likely the pilot was under training with that unit. I checked the #5 BFTS ORB and the Appendices last night with no success - not even mentioned - but then the surviving records begin later than the accident date.

If the Form 1180 did not provide an answer, then as far as I am aware the USAAF record card for the aircraft involved is going to be the only other source.

I have the USAAF records for the first batch of BT-13As (41-1212 to 41-1710 contained on reel no. ACR-22) because some of the BFTS BT-13As came from this batch. Sadly I could find no mention of this accident in the records of this batch. If anyone has a copy of reel (or CD) ACR-26 it might be possible to find the evidence there. The next microfilm I have that includes BT-13As covers the batch 41-21162 to 41-23161 and the first of these entered service after the accident date.

Sorry, not a great help I am afraid, Tony Broadhurst

Thanks

Ross, Paul & Col.
    As suggested in my September 2012 post the answer lies in an USAAF Individual Aircraft Record Card. From Reel ACR-26, received in the post this morning:
    Vultee BT-13A, 41-9721, assigned to Clewiston September 20, 1941. "Wrecked 1/20/42 Clewiston, Fla. Roger Bentley, UK. Spun from low altitude, burned. Complete washout." and "Condemned as per Budget Report 1/21/42."

The date and the description fits LAC. Crosskey's fatal accident. I think we can assume 'Roger Bentley' should have read Roger Bensley Crosskey, as per his CWGC dedication.