Thread: Bomber Command statistics

Thanks

Default Bomber Command statistics

Has anybody seen a breakdown of casualty statistics - I am keen to know if the numbers of respective aircrew positions has been calculated with credibility.

Thanks

Hi Colin, have you seen this?

http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/BCWW2Losses/

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel.

Thanks yes I had but I was trying to establish if the statistics were ever made concerning the numbers of air gunners KIA during WWII

I had an estimate provided by a late member of the AG Association of 28,350

I would welcome any observations on that figure......

Thanks

Well I think I have seen once in TNA WWII or post-WWII statistics of BC but I am not sure if the losses were so detailed to fulfill your needs.

I will try to check out if I have any info from this source or at least the reference

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Air 14-4525 at the TNA is a document covering Casualties in Aircrew and was compiled by the BC Operational Research Section, it focusses on the period 26 to 30th Apr 1942. It focusses on Halifax II, Lancaster, Wellington and Stirling crews. Having had a quick scan through my copy of it it would seem to indicate that the most vulnerable position was the rear turret and second was the bomb aimer. It quotes a figure of 47% of all fatal/dangerous casualties from flak were amongst rear gunners. It also points out that if the survey only concentrated on 'Heavies' and discounted the Wellingtons, the Mid Upper Gunner position was only slightly behind the rear gunner. With regard to attacks by fighters the figures are very similiar with regard to air gunners. Whilst I appreciate that this doesn't give you the total figure for the whole of the war it does support the suggestion that air gunners suffered the highest rate of casualties.
    HTH
    Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 20th September 2012 at 20:04.

Thanks

Daz. This is excellent can I confirm that this only related to figures over 5 days !

Thanks

Colin
    yes, just a 5 day period.
    As an example the first table in the document shows casualties (both fatalities and minor injuries) due to flak on each type of aircraft as an example here are the totals for Halifax IIs:

1st Pilot 2
    2nd Pilot 1
    Nav 1
    WOp 2
    MUG 1
    RG 5
    FE 3
    BA 1

Para 14 of the report states that "A rather high proportion of the injuries sustained in the bomb-aimers position and the rear turret are of a fatal or dangerous nature as shown in the table below:"

Bomb Aimer 3 fatal/dangerous 10 injured 30% overall
    Rear Turret 7 fatal/dangerous 15 injured 47% overall

Having just looked at the casualties from fighters I was surprised to see the following (all a/c types):

1st Pilot 6
    2nd Pilot 1
    Nav 8
    WOp 10
    AG (all posns) 51
    FE 2
    BA 1

this comes from a total of 69 aircraft.

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 20th September 2012 at 20:10.

Thanks

Daz thank you clearly these figures are likely to be reflective of the war and possible form some of the non detailed statements of rear gunner losses. Thank you for taking the time in assisting.

Thanks

Colin
    no worries, I think that these figures were based on aircraft that returned and dont include crews that were shot down/crashed over enemy territory etc.

regards Daz