Thread: 617 Squadron loss, December 1943

Thanks

Default 617 Squadron loss, December 1943

I wonder if anyone can help with the full names of two crew shot down with 617 Squadron in December 1943?

The crew was that of Warrant Officer George 'Chuffy' Bull, who was downed in ED886 'KC - O' on December 10th during a supply drop to France. Five of the crew bailed out, one getting back to the UK but I cant find the complete names of two of the others. They are:

Flight Engineer (538790) Sergeant C C Wiltshire R.A.F.V.R.
    Navigator (1037311) Sergeant C M Chamberlain R.A.F.V.R.

Can anyone fill in the initials??

Thanks

Hi
    Your Nav is Charles Manson Chamberlain.
    AIR/78/30

Thanks

That's fantastic Pete, thankyou. Out of interest, what document do you refer to? Is it POW?

Thanks

Not POW's but what seems to be a list of nearly every RAF airman and womans name and original service number from 1918-75. See this thread.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?11601-Air-78

The files are so large though that it's not really feasible to download them all, I had the one that contained Chamberlain as I had been looking for a Chambers recently. They are great to use in conjuction with Ancestry or other genealogy sites, which on your man's entries has him as born 1920, married '42, death '87 and coming from Nuneaton area.

This should take you to the file containing Wiltshire

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/browse/C4006004?v=h

Thanks

That is fantastic!! What a superb record, I never knew existed! That will come in very handy, thank you!

Thanks

Default 617 aircrew

This link may be of interest for the crew members of Charlie Wiltshires aircraft.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~janter/617/

Listing with the pictures

Thanks

Hello

My name is Rachael Bell (Maiden Name Chamberlain) and I am Charles 'Mick' Chamberlains granddaughter. Earlier this week when I found your thread here and the link to the photo of Grandpa Mick I was so pleased.

Someone else was very pleased as well and had never seen the photo, Hilda Chamberlain my beloved Grandma and Micks wife who is still alive and very well at the age of 95. I posted Charlie Wiltshires memoirs and the photo to Grandma and she was waiting at the letterbox for it. Grandma remembers Charlie Wiltshire coming to visit after the war, along with Charlies son after he passed away and Norman Batey visiting often (both members of the crew). I just wanted to come on here and say that its a wonderful thing that you are doing keeping and making all this information available.

For Grandma to see a photograph she hadn't seen before and to read about the experience over there from another one of the crew has I quote 'made her week'.

Thankyou once again.

Rachael Bell

Thanks

Rachel
    My Email is:-
    yoursandmine@ausi.com

I can perhaps give you better pictures.

Regards

Thanks

Email for Super-T is now manager@janter.co.nz