Thread: HP Hermes crashed off Italy 1952

Thanks

Default HP Hermes crashed off Italy 1952

On the 25 August 1952 HP Hermes IV G-ALDF operated by Airwork Ltd crashed into the sea off Trapani, Italy.
    One passengers and six crew were killed.
    I believe the aircraft used serial WZ841 on trooping flights.
    Does anyone have a list of the casulties.
    Thanks
    Andy

Thanks

The Times gives these names

Monica K Hobson
    Gareth Howell* child
    Glynnis Howell*
    EM Howell*
    JM Hobson*
    JEW Sadd
    Miss AT French

The last four were reported to be missing. The flight was returning Sudan government officials and their families to Khartoum.
    regards
    DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 22nd September 2012 at 10:48. Reason: Added a name that I missed

Thanks

Andy,
    The casualty numbers you quote are at variance with the persons reported in The Times for 26 Aug 52.
    They are:
    Mrs J A Hobson (+)
    Miss Howell (+)
    Master Howell (+)
    Mr J E W Sadd (missing)
    E M Howell (infant missing)
    J M Hobson (infant missing)
    Miss A T French (Air Hostess missing)

There are two full articles in The Times for that day on the crash. The second gives more detail of the posts in the Sudan Govt held by some of the pax, and their UK area of residences.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi,
    I can't believe this, I have come across your thread on Google while I was looking into my aunt's death in this crash!
    I would be fascinated to know what you know about it. She, Monica Hobson, and her baby were lost. Her husband and other son survived. I know that my mother has some papers relating to the subject somewhere.

Regards
    Monica Tudor

Thanks

Monica, Hi,
    Welcome to the Forum.
    First go to http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1952/1952%20-%202628.html?search=Hermes. This will give you the Flight magazine article.
    Next, your local Library should be able to give you a way of accessing The Times archive on-line. There are two articles 2 days after the ditching.
    Now, as far as I can see, the AAIB Report is not on-line, but your Library (hopefully) may be able to obtain a copy of it on loan from the Brit Library. It is likely to be full of technicalities and acronyms - but do not worry, there are lots of experts on this forum who will be only too pleased to help you decipher the aeronautical gobbledegook.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thank you very much Peter. Have accessed the article in FlightGlobal and will see if my library can help.
    Strangely enough, I did use this forum 6yrs ago when I was trying to find information on an RAF wartime crash on land near our house which has resulted in an annual memorial service being held here by the RAFA! So I was really taken aback to see that there was this thread relating to a civil aircrash, especially when it was the one that my aunt was killed in.......gave me goosebumps!!!

If I remember rightly, my mother even had a letter from the pilot!

I would be interested to hear from Andy Ingham and know what his interest is in this incident!
    Thank you for your help.
    Regards
    Monica

Thanks

Hello,
    Following on from my initial reply to this thread, I have managed to get hold of some documents and letters from survivors of the crash! Fascinating and very poignant to read as you can imagine. It appears that some lifevests didn't inflate immediately. The plane floated for approx 10mintues before going down. The pilot did an amazing job to land on the sea.
    Monica