Thread: F/O W T Leahy

Thanks

Default F/O W T Leahy

G'day Chaps

Flying Officer Thomas William Leahy from Port Perry, Ontario was killed in the crash of a Harvard Mk. IIB s/n KF260 while at No. 5 (P) AFU on the 31st of December 1944. Could it be 4216289 Flight Sergeant Keith Dickson Howden RNZAF who was killed in this crash as well?. The Harvard went down 1 mile south-west of Shrewbury. Any additional gen on this accident is greatly appreciated.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Chris,

Indeed it could.

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services Since 1915 (Vol Two: Fates 1943-1998)'

New Year’s Eve 1944
    FLYING TRAINING COMMAND
    Training
    5 (Pilots) Advanced Flying Unit, RAF (Tern Hill, Shropshire; satellite at Condover - 21 Group)
    Harvard IIB KF260 - took off from Condover at about 1400 with pilot instructor Fg Off T W Leahy, RCAF. Looped at 1000-1300 feet, stalled on coming out at the bottom, flicked over and crashed 1 mile WSW of Atcham at 1445. The two pilots were buried on 5 January at Chester, Cheshire.
    Pilot u/t: NZ4216289 Flt Sgt Keith Dickson HOWDEN, RNZAF - Age 21. 271hrs (41 solo on Harvard)

Thanks

Hi Chris, can i just ask your interest in this man?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Default F/O T. W. Leahy

G'day Tom

I'm doing a memorial project on all the R.C.A.F. airmen killed during the Second World War who were former students of Port Perry High School for the high school of the same name.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default F/S Howden

Tena koe Errol

It was good to talk with you again yesterday afternoon. Kia ora for the gen on Howden.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

I see! Do you have any school gen on him? Does the school have any records or details on him, or a photo?

My interest is all things Shropshire and also Condover airfield, hence my interest!

Cheers, Tom