Thread: Spartan Air Services - Mosquitos and Yorks

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Spartan Air Services - Mosquitos and Yorks

Am writing a history of Spartan Air Services, a Canadian aerial survey company that operated, among many other types, former RAF Mosquitos and Yorks.

Would be interested in photographs and service details of the following while with the RAF - I have the AM Form 78s:

Mosquito 35s - delivered
    RS700
    RS711
    TA661
    TA696
    TK623
    TK648
    TA713
    VP189
    VR794
    VR796

Mosquito 35s used for spares
    RS714
    TJ142
    TK654
    VP200
    VR797

Yorks most passed to other operators
    MW135
    MW136
    MW147
    MW167
    MW185
    MW200
    MW203
    MW233
    MW237
    MW287
    MW290
    MW291
    MW294

Would of course be interested in any other Spartan aircraft images and company information.

Thanks and regards:

Robert Stitt

Thanks

Default Spartan Air Services Mosquito

Hello Rob,
    I correspond with a Kenora, Ontario, resident who has thrown up the question of components from a buried Mossie at Kenora Airport being used in the recent renovation of KA114 in New Zealand.
    I bit of web searching brings up a Mossie damaged at Kenora 23 Aug 1957.
    Newspaper report of c2007 says undercarriage components dug up.
    I am jumping at the conclusion that this is a Spartan machine, so ask the expert, I thought.
    Do you know of this incident?
    Might it have any link to the KA114 restoration?
    Look forward to your guidance,
    Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave:
    Jerry Yagen advises that only a few small items were salvaged from Kenora for KA114 and the undercarriage was not useable. This was Mosquito B.35 EC-AKH, used by Minnesota Airmotive to transport electronic equipment to its aviation projects in Spain (really!) and at Kenora in an ill-fated attempt to avoid registering the aircraft in the US - the plan went badly wrong when the brakes failed on landing and she ended up in a ditch with a damaged spar and undercarriage.
    Only link with Spartan is that she was originally prepared for Captain Rodolpho Bay of Iberia by Derby Aviation at Burnaston, Derby, during the time-frame the ten Spartan aircraft were being prepared.
    Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Rob,
    that is splendid. thank you so much. So much for jumping to conclusions!
    What an unusual episode
    I am off now to google EC-AKH.
    Thanks again,
    Dave

Thanks

Dave,

As I've posted before, EC-WKH/-AKH was marked both TK652 and NS640 during painting by Derby Aviation, both Mosquito serials. My suspicion is that the finished aircraft was a composite of these two airframes but I've never been able to prove it.

You can see her here but the small serial in front of the horizontal stabilizer, TK652 on the port side, is hidden.

http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=157712

And... an article about the dig for EC-AKH just came to hand. Happy to pass on to anyone interested.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 8th October 2012 at 23:16. Reason: Article availability

Thanks

Hello Rob,
    confusing eh?
    Do you have the air Britain serials entries for NS640 and TK652?
    Thank you for the link, I've also found a photo on redpegasusdecals.com that shows the starboard side of AKH in glossy paintwork with NS640/TK652 is small black characters forward of the tail-plane.
    The article about the dig for AKH would be of interest, please. Do you have the article [Spanish language] from Aeroplano No22, 2004

Thanks

Hi Dave:

Article emailed. Yes, have the A-B entries for these two serials.

Robert

Thanks

Hi Dave:

I see from the article you sent that once in Spain EC-AKH carried the legend TK652/NS640 on the port side, added after some time point the aircraft was first prepared by Derby Aviation with just TK652 on the port side and NS640 on the starboard side.

The photo of the aircraft in Minneapolis Airmotive's (corrected name) striking blue and white scheme, applied in the US, shows the legend NS640/TK652 on the starboard side. Interesting that two successive owners, Rodolfo Bay (corrected spelling) in Spain and Minneapolis Airmotive would each go to the trouble of applying two Mosquito serials.

TK652 is quoted as the original serial but I strongly suspect that significant parts of NS640 were included in the overhaul of the aircraft at Burnaston. NS640 had become instructional airframe 6156M so likely remained in good condition if kept indoors. Can't think what else NS640 would have refer to.

Cheers:

Robert