Thread: The meaning of 0NNNN Officer Service Numbers?

Thanks

Default The meaning of 0NNNN Officer Service Numbers?

As per my Sergt. Francis Lawrence White posting below. When commisioned Francis Lawrence White had a service number in the 05nnn range (in this case 05192) he was previously 362730

As Officer Service numbers usually started with the year they were comissioned 28NNN 29NNN etc. Could anyone explain what the significance (if any) of the 05nnn was - I am kind of am guessing they were reserved from those comisssioned 'from the ranks' at least pre-war (as they had already passed their 'initial' year) - but this is only a guess!

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

I am not totally convinced that the first two numbers denote the year of commissioning. Yesterday I was looking at a group who were appointed PO on probation, on the commencement of their SSC, with effect from 10 May 31. Their five-figure numbers all commenced with 32. To shoot my theory down, the training year may not necessarily be a calendar year. I wonder if the system was configured around five-figure numbers and those who were early commissions in the RAF and received four-figure numbers were given the leading zero at a later date? There is a discourse on RAF numbers in Vol 1 of the book on Aces. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Not enough evidence yet to see any pattern but the series is in use from April 1918 to early 1935.

In the final sequence is

05256 Davis, John Gilbert - F/O 3 April 1934 (ACM 1 Jan 1976!)
    05257 Broderick, Ralph Sheppard - P/O 10 October 1918

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.