Thread: Meaning of abreviations in RAF war records

Thanks

Default Meaning of abreviations in RAF war records

Hi Folks, I'm new to this forum, I wonder if anyone out there can help me. My Dad enlisted in June 1940 at Uxbridge as rank AC2. After basic training, in June 1941 he went to Canada with 34 Service Flying Training School. He spent the next two years with variously 34SFTS, 108 Mobile, 38SFTS, 34OTU, 31SFTS, ending in June 1943 at ACRC, (I guess this may be Air Crew Reception Centre). At ACRC he mustered as U/T (Under Training?) C A R P 2, 30MU (Maintenance Unit?) . What is C A R P 2? In December 1943 he is described as rank LAC, Trade ACH/CARP, Proficiency U/T. What is ACH/CARP?
    In May 1944 he is described as Ex CTTB for remust Carp 2 35% (Special Qualification). What does this entry mean?
    By June 1944 was listed as HE (Home Embarkation). He was back in England by August 1944 when he married my Mum. In late November 1944 is in 8th General hospital. (I believe he was injured somewhere in Belgium). After some more shuffling about in the UK he ended up at RAF Stanbridge near Leighton Buzzard, from where he was discharged, KE at ACI Para 652. What does this mean? I know he was treated by a forces Psychiatrist at some time toward the end of the war, does this explain anything? Thanks, Andy.
    Last edited by Andy Day; 27th September 2012 at 19:23. Reason: More info

Thanks

He was an Aircraft Hand Carpenter (ACH/Carp) my friend. It looks like he went for aircrew, but failed and was remustered (swapped jobs) to become a carpenter. 'HE' is Home Establishment by the way. 'MU' is indeed Maintenance Unit.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Default That makes sense!

Thanks for that, I know he wanted to go for aircrew but his mother created such a scene he gave up on the idea, So remustering as a carpenter would have made sense. He had always been good at woodwork, his Dad was a Chippy and his Uncle a Cabinet maker, Dad was a Chippy for the Met Office after the War. Andy

Thanks

Hi Andy,
    Are you sure its KE and not KR. The had writting can often be taken in more than one way.
    KR would be Kings regulations. If you google Kings regulations AC1 para 652 you may find some definitions. AC1 could be aircraftsman class 1.
    more likely that it is KRACI (King's Regulations & Air Council Instructions)

Paul H
    Last edited by paulh; 27th September 2012 at 22:08. Reason: update

Thanks

AC1 = Aircraftman 1st Class (note that there is no 's' in Aircraftman)

CCTB = Central Trade Test Board (at West Drayton as at November 1944)

Errol
    Last edited by Errol Martyn; 27th September 2012 at 22:30.

Thanks

KR Para 652 is split into a number of different aspects. For example 652 (4) - i.e. sub para 4 - states that an individual is unfit for air force service due to no longer meeting the mandated physical standards. Do you know whether there is a sub para in the records you have? It would narrow down the field.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.