Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitesh chandra talukdar

Thanks

Default Hitesh chandra talukdar

Dear All,
    Whilst fossicking in ones databases (as one does) I came across HITESH CHANDRA TALUKDAR. My entries for him were incomplete, so I went to the LG and lo and behold another mystery. H C Talukdar Enlisted (LG entries below) 2200177 in Oct 42 (probably very early in Oct 42?). I cant find what Trade he was in, but it was probably Met as by 15 Nov 45 hes a Sgt and Commissioned into the RAFVR Met Branch on 15 Nov 45. Next we know his Commission has been Terminated on 30 Jul 46 but that announcement has him in the RAFVR GD Branch! Moreover, that announcement is incorrect and the LG Amendment is issued still under the RAFVR GD heading.
    So what happened? Looks like he was a good Met Assistant, and made Sgt in 3 yrs AND got his Forecasters qualifications. So why the GD Branch bit? Can't find an LG 'Transfer' announcement. Did he go for Aircrew and was washed out? or what?
    If anybody has come across this guy I would be grateful for the heads-up. I am, by the way, exploring the detail and technicalities of his obvious Indian sub-continent name.
    TIA
    Peter Davies

METEOROLOGICAL BRANCH.
    Appointment to commission.
    As Actg. Plt. Off. on prob. (emergency):
    2200177 Sgt. Hitesh Chandra TALUKDAR (201365). 15th Nov. 1945.
    (2200177 issued at Padgate in Oct 1942)

METEOROLOGICAL BRANCH.
    Regrading.
    Actg Plt. Off. (prob.) to Plt. Off. (prob.):
    1st July 1946. H. C. TALUKDAR (201365).

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Commission terminated.
    Actg. Plt. Off. (prob.) H. C. TALUKDAR (201365). 30th July 1946.

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Notification amended.
    13th Aug. 1946 -(p. 4054, col. i) concerning Acting Pilot Officer on probation H. C. TALUKDAR (201365), for Acting Pilot Officer on probation read Pilot Officer on probation-.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I do not have anything to add, but Glad to know about another Indian Origin Officer commissioned in the RAF. I have not documented him before in my notes. My list now stands at 30

Thanks

Jagan,
    Tks yrs. I've emailed you!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello All,
    We have accumulated some considerable data about our Hitesh Chandra Talukdar. Jagan has been more than expert in helping me to understand the nuances of Indian beaureacracy (which are considerable!).
    H C Talukdar came to UK in 1936/37 to study at London Uni for a Degree to enable him to qualify for the Indian Civil Service. He either failed his Finals, or went home on leave before he took his Finals (passage on the RMS/SS Strathnaver ATD Tilbury 28 Nov 39, Destination Bombay via etc). WW2 has officially started at this time!
    The next we know of him is that he Enlists (2200177) at Padgate in Oct 42.
    He is subsequently Commissioned in late 1945, and then Terminated in 1946.
    I want to know why he was Terminated.
    We have found that a person of the same name returned to UK (possibly prior to Oct 42?). Does anyone have the details of his return to UK?
    He is on the Voters Register (near London Uni) after WW2 - re-trying his Degree? (I am enquring of London Uni archives). He then returns to India aboard the JALJAWAHAR in 1949. Subsequent Googling has shown a similar name to be in eastern India, and a one-time Big Nebbi of the India Tourist Authority. And, subsequently, on an Indian Council Tax Register as "LT H C Talukdar". Jagan tells me that 'LT' in Indian beaureacracy means 'Late', in UK terms. I.e. he has died.
    So now, if I go to Cranwell, can I say that he is Dead? So can I access his RAF Record? Will it have the reason for the Termination of his Commission? And if it doesn't, can I go to MoD under FOI regulations and ask for the reason(s) for the Termination? If not, why not?
    Grateful for any pointers/warnings! I am not about upsetting apple-carts! Just finding out what happened!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd October 2012 at 16:00. Reason: Spelling - again!

Thanks

Peter

Don't know if this is your man, but it is interesting reading:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SPLSMXSl8dEC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=H+C+Talu kdar+raf&source=bl&ots=Hb9CRX0jDz&sig=lAj_rly45kiO 77Qc0eBUmicpbN0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MAVrULWvOunO0QXq_oDg Bw&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=H%20C%20Taluk dar%20raf&f=false
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

PeteT,
    Yes, this is undoubtedly our man!
    What we (I!) need to know is (a) how/where/when he came back to UK, and (b) what was the cause of his Termination. Now, I am quite aware that we may be talking about two different blokes, but Jagan (emails off forum) and I are fairly convinced it's the same bloke.
    His pre-RAF service, and post-UK career are, to an extent, superfluous/irrelevant.
    What I need to know is why, only a month after being Regraded in his A/Plt Off rank, his Commission was suddenly Terminated. What was/is going on????
    As I have asked (earlier) is how do I go about FOI action to tell me what, and by now a near 70 yr-old history, is denied to researchers. We need to know. Defence Cuts (i.e. people in the right places to answer emails/letters) is not a good enough answer.
    But, I suspect I am (if you will forgive the coarseness) 'pee-ing against the wind'.
    Tks yr help
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,

Don't know if this helps, but try http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Reference-Library/~/media/Files/Navy-PDFs/News-and-Events/Naval%20Publications/BR%203/br3book/ch52.pdf - scroll down to Para 5203f. I appreciate this is refers to the RN, but might the same not apply to the RAF; ie, he trasferred to one of the other services.

Brian

Thanks

Brian, et al,

Tks yr help. The Termination in that (modern) RN doc appears to be simply an administrative convenience when Transferring from one Service to another. It may be that Termination in the 1940's had a slightly different meaning (or meanings).

However, I have found in http://www.essex.ac.uk/psychology/overlays/policyresearch.pdf (p.9) the following:-

"My Royal Air Force commission terminated when an Air Chief Marshal found a questionnaire asking about near accidents in a crew room. He ordered the research to cease forthwith because he would “not have junior officers criticising their equipment". The conflict of flying safety research methods and the requirements of military “good order and discipline” do not, apparently, converge I was most fortunate that another source of income quickly found me!"

There are also a number of anecdotal references to "improper behaviour", and Mess cheque irregularities, etc, etc, that did not result in Summaries of Evidence leading to a Court Martial, but caused Termination. If our man was, in fact, a Commissioned Meteorological Officer it is difficult to know where he could have Transferred, at that time, in order to use his skill/training.

It would be of some considerable value if somebody with the appropriate KRs/ACIs for the post war mid-40's could find the precise definition of Termination. We will also be in a better position to make further progress if/when London Uni tell me when he was with them, and what he studied, and what Degree he was awarded (or not - if they quote Student Privacy, etc, etc!).

We also know that he had a brother (Jitesh) who was Commissioned into a prestigious Indian Army Cavalry Regt/Bde. So although the surrounding "Big Picture" is becoming a little clearer, the main reason for starting this thread (why was this Indian, RAF Commissioned, Met Officer, Terminated?) is no nearer resolution!

Stick with it, mes braves. It will, eventually, appear!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 3rd October 2012 at 14:01. Reason: Digit probs!

Thanks

Just to bring you up to date with current developments (we haven't fallen asleep!).
    We emailed/snail-mailed London Uni for details of his Student/Degree data. Much to my surprise (I was a bit sarcastic about not being able to navigate their website - and had to resort to snail-mail!!) they have made contact. They need proof that he's dead before they will move further (Data Protection Act nonsense of course!!).
    An "H C Talukdar" was a past President of the Indian Association of Travel Agents. E-mail queries to them are in train.
    An RAFVR (Met Branch) Commission being Terminated could either (a) be due to conduct not appropriate to that of "An Officer And A Gentleman", or (b) having Transferred to another Arm/Service. The Air Attache at the Indian High Commission in London has been asked for information and/or data (I'll bet your pension that the Indian Air Commodore will be gobsmacked (or the Hindi equivalent!) when he finds that in his In-Tray tomorrow morning!).
    Never let it be said that we don't keep you informed! We might talk rubbish - but it's entertaining rubbish!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,

I think that reference to the DPA is utter ************* . The information you require is almost certainly in a published register of past students which will be freely accessible in the university library.

I've requested details about graduates (pre WW2) from a number of universities in the past (including London) and I've always enjoyed helpful responses.

Go to http://www.london.ac.uk/2894.html for the library, then email the librarian at shl.enquiries@london.ac.uk . Suggest you just ask if the library holds registers of past graduates and is your man listed.

Brian