Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-war RCAF Sgt J. M. Ready requires identification

Thanks

Col

I note that Bil Walker has 13 Dec 1938 - However Lethbridge Herald of 16th Dec 1938 says 'last night' . Also Canada's Flying Heritage says "15th Dec 1938"

I thin confusion is that Lethbridge (I can't read the actual newspaper only google cache) has a dateline of Cardinal, Ontario of (I assume 15th Dec) and "last night" could then be 14th - But as night flight could have taken off on 13th...

I am hoping that Bill will come along here and comment

Re: R. M. McKAY a lot of McKays on Canadian Gazette me think it will be long search unless anyone here can ID R M "Rob" McKay

Thanks

Molson's Canadian serials has 15 Dec 1938 Cat A for the Atlas

Thanks

I'm away from my reference sources for a while, but I think my date of 13 December 1938 for Atlas 403 comes from Griffin's first book. Looking forward to you guys sorting this out for me. ;)

Thanks

1) May 27, 1936 George C. Upson Vickers Vedette CF-SAE Big River, Saskatchewan

Now ID as George (James) Clifford Upson Born England Ipswich 1896 WW1 Rifle Brigade, then RFC and then RAF then RCAF

Married Canada as George James Clifford Upson but enlisted records as George Clifford Upson

Thanks

Re:
    Cpl. P. Wilkinson (possibly [the later], C/2130 S/L Philip Wilkinson AFC RCAF)

BINGO - Dates match

Aircraft Volume 20 - 1958
    Wing Commander Philip Wilkinson, AFC, has retired from the RCAF after 29 years of service. W/C Wilkinson joined the Service in 1928 as a mechanic. He took aircrew training as an observer in 1934 and after the outbreak of World War II, trained as an air gunner and proceeded overseas. Returned to Canada in 1941, he became an instructor in air gunnery. In 1942 he was trained as a pilot, and on graduation went on to bomber-reconnaissance work

Thanks for heads up

All RCAF bale ots identigfide just mising the exact circumstances now

Thanks

via Email .. can provide full email on request.

Name Susan
    Email *****************
    Subject GC Upson
    Message I was googling GC Upson who was my grandfather and a RAF pilot in WWI follwed by bush pilot, then Squardron leader for RCAF in WW II. I found this thread regarding him http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...identification and wondering if anyone needs more information on him. Cheers, Susan

Thanks

Default Bale Outs

G'day

Atlas Mk. I originally s/n 18 and later re-serialed as 403, was abandoned due to an engine failure. It crashed near Cardinal, Ontario on the 15th of December, 1938. The aircraft was destroyed.

DH 60GM Moth s/n 79 was involved in a mid-air collision with Avro Avian Minor IVM s/n 97 at R.C.A.F. Station Camp Borden, Ontario. Both aircraft were from No. 1 Flying Training School

G-CYZF was a Canadian Vickers Vedette Mk. V. On the 17th of May, 1929 Canadian Vickers test pilot C. S. 'Jack' Caldwell was air testing Canadian Vickers Vedette Mk. V, G-CYZF. He entered a spin that he was unable to recover from. He baled out and landed on an island in the St. Lawrence River, thus becoming the first Canadian to have his life saved by a parachute.

CF-SAE was a Canadian Vickers Vedette Mk. II, c/n CV 53. It served in the R.C.A.F. as G-GYGA and later sold to the Government of Saskatchewan on the 27th of August, 1931 who then re-registered it as CF- SAE. The aircraft was written off after the pilot baled out when he found himself inverted as a result of turbulence over Stony Lake, Saskatchewan on the 27th of May, 1936.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Chris thanks for more detail's and Jagan has supplied me with Susans details and I will be emailing her shortly

Thanks

All

I have been contacted by J M Ready's grandson and will be getting back to him later..

I had J M Ready down as John "Michael" Ready but he confirms his name as John Malcolm 'Jack' Ready which is confirmed in Ottawa Journal Jan 1940 when he and a number of Pre war RCAF NCO's were commissioned 'en masse' BUT I CANNOT FIND THEM in Canada Gazette

From internet OCR Scan

The following appointments and promotions in the Royal Canadian Air Force have been approved
    and are promulgated by the Minister of National Defence:

Promoted Flying Officer (temp) Appointed Pilot Officer
    and pro-moted to the rank of Flying Officer (temporary).
    Affleck Mac-Person, James Bramah Sceales, James Horner,
    John Malcolm Ready, Arthur Fleming, Lyle Augustus Harllng, Welsford Thomas Frank Tourgis,
    George Vernon Miscampbell, Robert Idris Georges Hector Wilson McNee,
    Joseph Carmel Thomas, Joseph Desbiens. John Harry Bryant,
    Jean-Baptiste Mirabelli, Paul Elmer Scrensen, Sydney Desmond Turner.
    Ronald Allan Wellington Gilmour, Malcolm Elroy Ferguson, William Godfrey Pate,
    Alvin Wesley Mitchell, Earl Robert Austin, Roland Dobson, Wallace Michalski.
    Stanley Yendlc Broad-bent, George Oscar Godson, Robert Hugh Morris,
    John James Cotter, Francis Henry Pearce, Victor Albert Margetts, Ernest Carl Briese,
    Kenneth Birchall, Frederick George Pafford, Ross Smither. Robert Brereton Hoods-pith,
    Rodrick Milne, Bertram Garnet Miller, Benjamin Franklin Crawford Pearson, Joseph Leon
    Lapointe, Donald William Campbell, Melvin Jones, Douglas Kneale Whitham, Stanley Arthur
    Greene, Roy Hamilton Wonderly. Confirmed in the rank of Pilot Officer and promoted to
    the rank of Flying Officer. L. D. Mongenii.
    Confirmed in the rank of Flying Offcer, G. R. McGregor. Appointed
    Pilot Officer. Robert Boutilier Edwards.

I have also found reference to his marriage in 1929 in Manitoba

The only issue I have for him now is his service number can anyone help with this ??

Col previous posted the following

C/1566 F/L John Michael READY RCAF + 17-8-1987.

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/las...PostData_ID=24 2109

but link no longer available.

Can anyone find these men in Canada Gazette I would like to confirm John Malcolm Ready was C/1566 (the service number is about right for time) and 'Michael' is possibly typo in legion magazine..

Thanks Paul

Thanks

Paul,

Here is the new link for the revamped Legion Magazine/Last Post entry for READY:

https://legionmagazine.com/en/last-p...ntry&id=242109

l have not kept my old notes on Ready. l might have mistakenly used Michael for Malcolm. Whatever, they now quote Malcolm!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 20th October 2014 at 14:40.