Thread: Citation for DFC to George C. Barwell, RAFVR, 111243

Thanks

Default Citation for DFC to George C. Barwell, RAFVR, 111243

Hi,

Air gunner Flight Lieutenant George C. Barwell, RAFVR, 111243 received a DFC (LG 23 July 1943) but I cannot find the citation. I would be grateful if someone can help me with the citation or recommendation for his DFC.

The information I found during a search on the net was mostly focused on his involvement in the attack against the Rumanian oil refinery at Ploesti on the 1st August 1943. He was attached to 389th BG, USAAF.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks

The London Gazette of 20 July 1943 reported his DFC (without citation) for services as a member of No.178 Squadron.

The same publication reported a DFM to Sergeant John Young for services as a member of No.178 Squadron. Although no citation accompanied the announcement, I note that Ian Tavender ("The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War") found a recommendation/citation for Young at Kew in AIR 2/8967. I suggest that you will find a recommendation/citation for Barwell's DFC in AIR 2/8967 as well.

Thanks

Thanks for the help Hugh, I have found it difficult to know how to navigate in these files but this sounds like a good idea

Peter

Thanks

I can't help with the citation at all, but I have some background info from a letter to the editor printed in Issue #81, Summer Edition (2001), of The Turret, the official publication of the Air Gunners' Association:

I was interested to read in the Winter Turret a reference to S/L Barwell and a record of shooting down 52 E/A. I am sure that this will be news to George Barwell, who, if it is the same George, did not actually shoot down any aircraft during his operational service. He and I were on the same gunnery course at Stormy Down in November 1941. After separate activities we met up at Burn in Yorkshire in July 1942 and were eventually crewed up with our pilot, F/Lt Macintyre, with whom we flew to join 159 Squadron in Aquir. There we did occasional daylights as well as night ops on various North African ports, which held enemy shipping. In due course we moved to Shandur and then to Gimines just south of Benghazi. By then George had become Gunnery Leader and on daylights flew in the lead aircraft of the formation and directed fire on attacking fighters. We generally attacked targets at night, with the American 9th Bomber Group having attacked in daylight. This became the connection by which George was included in the attack on the Ploesti oil fields, where he was the only RAF aircrew on the raid. An interesting point is that on our initial flight from the UK to Middle East in September 1942, we carried with us General Sir Oliver Reese, who took over from Monty in charge of the Eighth Army. A very pleasant man who took with him a supply of chocolate which he distributed to the gunners while on the flight deck during the flight. I was a Rhodesian in those days but have now been settled in England for the last twenty years. Thought this may be of interest to others who knew George.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't have the Winter Turret edition mentioned by Mr. Dalton. P/O G.C. Barwell 111423 shows up in the 159 Sqn ORB as arriving at Aqir [Palestine] from the UK on 14.09.42 with F/O D.P. MacIntyre (J5998) and others. He then shows up in the 160 Sqn ORB a few times, into early 1943.

Thanks

Hello,

On the Ploesti Raid, George Barwell flew as top turret gunner in Major Norman C. Appold's, 514thBS/376thBG ('The Liberandos') B-24D, 42-40657 "G.I.GINNIE"

If you can stand the "Purple Prose", you will find one account in:

Ploesti:The Great Ground-Air Battle of 1 August 1943.
    Dugan,James & Carroll Stewart.
    New York:Random House,1962

There are many others.

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th October 2012 at 02:23.

Thanks

Matt and Col,

Thanks for your replies. Shooting down 52 E/A must be wildly exaggerated but according to Aerial Gunners: The Unknown Aces of World War II by Charles Watry and Duane Hall he had 12 victiores. I do not have the book myself but found the information on http://jpgleize.perso.neuf.fr/aces/ww2rafgu.htm. The book is about US gunner aces and I suppose the victories, if he claimed any, were claimed during his attachement to the USAAF.

I have not decided if I will buy any book about the Ploesti raid but as you write Col it seems to be a popular subject.

Peter

Thanks

Peter,

I double-checked my typing of George Barwell's service number, as found in the 159 Sqn ORB in Sept '42: 111423, which is different than what you posted (111243). Just thought I'd make that clear.

An excellent qualty post-raid staged photo of Barwell with other Ploesti participants appears on pg 113 of Roger Freeman's "The Ploesti Raid Through the Lens", published by After The Battle. Send me a personal message if you would like a scan. I can also summarize other Barwell-related Ploesti info from this book, and a couple of others. Of course, I know it is the DFC citation that you are most interested in reading.

Good luck,

Matt

Thanks

Matt,

I feared I fumled when writing the service number but re-checked the LG and the service number is correct. 111423 is the service number of A.L.E.H. Simon.

I would be grateful if you send me a scan and a summarize of Barwell related info. PM with email-address sent.

Peter