Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genealogy Enquiry: FOORD, Far East WW2, 100 Squadron

Thanks

Philip

My understanding is that movement was by train or road, although it was obviously total chaos at the time. I think you will have to draw your own conclusions regarding how long he survived on snakes and pond water.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi

Many thanks for your replies. I'll discuss this with my Mother (she knows the story better than me).

Best regards,
    Philip

Thanks

Hi Philip,

I know I'm late coming into this thread, but I've been away from this site and research generally for a while. I am the historian for the 100 Squadron Association, and can add a little for you.

I have a Nominal Roll, produced by one of the members of 100 Squadron when the japanese invaded, which lists the men from 100 who sailed from Singapore to Ceylon on the "Kota Gede". The story is told briefly here: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/68/a5033468.shtml

I also have a Journal Roll for the men from 100 logged at No.1 Embarkation Depot in Australia, and again your Grandather's name appears on the list. Annoyingly, this Roll is undated, but does include the names of a few 84 Squadron men at the end.

Not much I know, but I hope it adds something. When I get chance tomorrow I'll go through the 100 Squadron ORB for the period and see if I can find his posting-in order for you.

All the best,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Hi Greg,

You mention in the previous post, that you possess a Journal Roll for the men logged at No.1 Embarkation Depot in Australia. No.1 ED was located in the Melbourne Showgrounds, Ascot Vale, Victoria, Australia. Melbourne is on the opposite side of the continent to Perth, Western Australia, where No.5 Embarkation Depot was located.

Could you supply LAC Foord's initials, and verify the ED number please?

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 3rd September 2013 at 02:38.

Thanks

Morning Col,

L.A.C. Foords on my list are L.W.B. but his service number is obscured on the copy of the roll I have. However, in a seperate list I have, typed up by the author of the document to show the roll of men who sailed on the Kota Gede, his number is shown as 638378. The title of the document you mention is as follows: -

"Journal Roll 100 T.B. Squadron Logged by No.1 (Embarkation Depot) Pre-Embarkation Draft Roll (No.1) Australia)."

However, it is important to note that the title of the document is not part of the original document but has been superimposed on it, so I cannot offer any provenance for the accuracy of the title itself. I should have made that clear in my first post.

The nominal Roll of the men who sailed on the Kota Gede gives a date of February 1942, but no specific date within the month.

I'm not sure any of that will have served any purpose other than to cloud the issue Col, but for what it's worth, I hope it adds a little something. The 100 Squadron ORB is of no use, as it finishes on December the 1st 1941 and there are no entries for 1942 - hardly surprising really. I have yet to look at any of the station or Command ORBs for the period, but I suspect a similar fate will have befallen them when I do go to look.

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Col,

I've just had a look at the document you linked to in the fourth post of this thread, which very clearly shows Foord against No.5 ED. It's a shame my list doesn't have any provenance attached to it - it makes me suspect that the author of it hasn't checked his sources properly. Where would I look at the NAA for the Rolls of no.1 ED just to cross-reference?

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the initials of LAC Foord.

The reason l posed the question in the first place, is the fact that 'some' RAF airmen from No.5 ED, Perth, were in fact transferred to the Eastern States. l can't locate the movement order, but l'll keep searching.

As far as No.1 Embarkation Depot is concerned, l'm afraid none of the pertinent documents are digitised.

You would need the No.1 ED P.O.R.'s for the information you require.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=30677203

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=30677204

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=3912001

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=3912004

No.1 ED ORB.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=638397

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 3rd September 2013 at 10:27.

Thanks

Default Genealogy Enquiry: FOORD, Far East WW2, 100 Squadron

Hello all,

Many thanks for the interesting replies. I can confirm LAC Foord's initials were LWB, and his service number was 638378, and according to his service record he definitely was at 5ED Perth on 2nd March 1942, before moving on to Ceylon on 27/4/42 with 62 R&SU.

If you are able to locate any further information that would be terrific. PeteT provided some very useful information earlier in these posts and directly to me.

I can however confirm that he travelled to Singapore on Capetown Castle. I have since found a postcard photo in my grandfather's collection of the Capetown Castle!

Many thanks,

Philip

Thanks

Philip,

I've been through the ORB and the Appendices for the period, and there is no mention of your Grandfather I'm afraid. This isn't unusual though to be honest - it tends to be mostly Officers who are mentioned by name in the ORB, save for the posting in / posting out lists. And unfortunately, the posting reports are missing for the month your Grandfather arrived... Feel free to contact me off-board (gregATgreg-harrison.co.uk) if you think I can help with anything else relating to your Grandfather, or if you'd like anything from the ORB for the period he was there.

Best wishes,

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Col - many thanks for the links.

Greg