Thread: Is this a Blenheim Mk V?

Thanks

Default Is this a Blenheim Mk V?

Hi Folks

I have a photo (shown below) taken from a German minesweeper sometime between late 1942 and probably mid to late 1943. My query is, based on the silhouettte shown, is this a Blenheim Mk V? If so, which squadron(s) flew them during this time period around the Channel Islands and/or off the Dutch/Northern France coast?

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt130/pfwaylander/BlenheimMkV.jpg

If it isn't a Blenheim Mk V what might it be?

I'm trying to identify the aircraft so that I can try and date and identify the squadron and its aircraft that attacked the minesweepers. The minesweeper that the photo was taken from, I believe, was the M422 of the 24th MSF which operated in and around the Channel Islands.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Paul

Thanks

Looks like a Blenheim but how about a Martin Maryland?

Thanks

Wouldn't a Maryland be unusual in these waters ?

The photo is somewhat distorted and blurry around the edges, some features of the Blenhiem V appear but then so do those of a Douglas Boston. It's a hard call.

Ian

Thanks

Interesting problem! Leaving aside the question of "Is it Allied or enemy?", and the date, and simply concentrating on visual recognition, I cannot really make any positive identification! Think we can forget Short Sturgeon (although I can see reason why this type was introduced into the discussion), and Maryland, and Ju 88. The dimensions and tail angles do suggest the Douglas twin-engined attack bombers, but the A-26 Invader (and not the Boston/A-20 family, no dihedral in photo, which was typical of all that family.) The tail surfaces appear to be too big for a Bristol type, especially height of vertical surfaces, but I agree the nose and engine nacelles arrangements suggest the Bisley (Blenheim V). So not prepared to stick my neck out on this one - sorry, toooooooooooooo hard! Don't think it is French either.
    David D

Thanks

Nothing immediately stands out. Tail does look Invader-ish. Nose looks Bisley-ish.

But allowing for distortion, perhaps even a Beaufighter without tailplane dihedral? Not unlikely for Channel coastal ops '42/'43?

Mind you, engines look under-slung rather than centrally-mounted.

Any other guesses? Air/Sea Rescue units - what types might they have used?

Ian

Thanks

Thank you for your input gents.

Courtesy of some comments made to my post on another forum I'm inclined to believe that this may in fact be a JU-88, the engines and in the right place and are of the correct length in relation to the nose and that the dorsal turret in the photo may well be a blemish on the negative - i.e. in just the wrong place! *@%$!

Paul