Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight lieutenant Malcolm F Edwards (Eddie) 133358

Thanks

Default Flight lieutenant Malcolm F Edwards (Eddie) 133358

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out as much as I can about my late grandfather Malcolm Finney Edwards , 133358 who was KIA on the 29th December 1944 whist serving with 3(f) Squadron. He was flying Hawker Tempest JF-V ,EJ803. I know he crashed into the moorland next to the railway line at Spelle ,Germany around 11.30am. Also any info from his career , Edwards joined the RAFVR in 1939 and was in 247 Squadron from 1/9/40-39/11/40, and it looks as if he trained pilots for a while until he was transferred to 3(f) squadron on 9/10/43. some of the units he was with are listed ,

9 (p) AFU Hullavington
    No 55 OTU Annan
    7 (p) AFU Peterborough
    247 Sqdn Plymouth(Roborough) and St Eval
    609 Sqdn Middle Wallop
    3(f) Sqdn Manston
    Swanton Morley
    Ayr
    Bradwell Bay
    Newchurch
    Volkel
    He also had 12 V1s to his name.

Many thanks
    James

Thanks

Hi James , i have your Grandfather in my Notes as arriving 55 OTU Aug 43 , he left 55 OTU Sept 43 , and went to 3 Sqd in October 43 , i MAY? have more , i will PM YOU LATER .

bw phill jones

Thanks

Hi Phill

Thank you very much look forwards to hearing from you.

James

Thanks

Hello

I can't find him in No. 609 (WR) Squadron. Can you confirm he flew with the Squadron ? He's not in the pilots' list in "Under the White Rose" (the Squadron published history), and I can't find him either in the form 540 of the Squadron Operations Record Book. I have many pages of the form 541, but it'd be a very long process to review the hundreds of pages to see if he's listed. He may have flown with the Squadron while not being a member, simply "attached" to it.

He doesn't show either in "Rise from the East" the History of No. 247 Squadron. There's another Edwards, but he was a post-war Meteor pilot.

Do you have dates alongside the units that you gave ? What is the source ? Record of service or log-book ?

"Aces High volume 2" gives 7 and 5 shares V1s destroyed, and a list of the claims, date, plane flown and location.

Joss

Joss

Thanks

I have discovered that Malcolm Finney Edwards is mentioned in the London Gazzette on the 1st of September 1942, this was published in the December 8th issue. Would anybody know why this is ?

James

Thanks

Hi Joss

Edwards was only in 609 from the 17/8/40-24/8/40. As stated in his log book record of service. 247 squadron he was a sergeant pilot, and joined on 1/9/40 until 30/11/40, flying Gladiators. This is from his log book. And there is a sgt Edwards who is on the 247 Sqdn men of the BoB. I think you could be correct about being attached to 609, it makes sense.

Many thanks James

Thanks

Hello,

I've doubled-checked the Operations Record Book of No. 609 Squadron for August 1940, but as I only have the form 540, there's no details of each operation flown by the pilots, only general informations. I'll ask the son of the Squadron C.O. at the time, in case he may have additionnal details, otherwise only a look at the form 541 of the Squadron ORB (we don't have it in the Squadron association, I have copied large bits of it at the National Archives in Kew) may confirm. Also the Middle Wallop station ORB.

Did he fly when he was with 609 ?

The same would apply for No. 247 Squadron, if you can access the ORB at Kew, and compare with the log-book.

You father should be mentioned several times in the London gazette, when he got his commission, when he got promoted from Pilot Officer to Flying Officer, from Flying Officer to Flight Lieutenant. At least 3 occurences, but the "temporary" and/or "war substantive". Use the surname and service number to find the pages.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

I have now downloaded the Operations Records Book from 247 Squadron and the dates ,a/c numbers etc all tie in exactly with my grandfathers log book. He is Sergeant Edwards.

Thanks James

Thanks

James, re your question regarding Sep and Dec. The entry states that Malcolm Edwards was commissioned from the rank of warrant officer with effect from 1 Sep 42. The LG entry in Dec is the admin tail catching up with the event. The significant date for seniority is the Sep date. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Default M.F.Edwards 3 sqn

James. you will find much background information in Ron Pottinger's 'A View from the Cockpit' - he was a Typhoon and Tempest pilot with 3 Sqn for roughly the same timespan as your grandfather. 'Eddy' is briefly mentioned several times. PM sent.
    CT