Thread: Crosby on Eden

Thanks

Default Crosby on Eden

Hello,

Can anyone provide any information on 209 (c) OTU at Crosby on Eden? My uncle's service records show him with this Group 17 unit from 13th July 1943 until 18th September 1943.

I've not seen this OTU mentioned before and was wondering if it was part of a larger training unit.

RB

Thanks

its a typo for 109 OTU based there, google the RAF base Crosby on Eden

http://rafweb.org/OTU_5.htm
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

RB,

If your dates are correct, your Uncle could not have been with No.109(C) OTU. 109(C) OTU was formed on 11-8-1944. His unit was most likely No.9(C) OTU., 17 Group.

http://rafweb.org/OTU_1.htm

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th October 2012 at 13:42.

Thanks

Was your uncle a commissioned officer? If he was he will have been recorded in the record book for No.9 OTU, I've checked the copies that I have and the two officers who were posted out on the 18th September aren't in the entry for the 13th July.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Many thanks guys,

I've had a closer look at my uncle's service records and it would appear that Col's suggestion that it is No.9(c) OTU is correct. The entries above and below are both written in block capitals and easy to read, however the Crosby on Eden unit is recorded in rather flowery hand-writing making it difficult to decipher.

In reply to Alclark, my uncle's records refer to him having a temporary commission. Does this mean he was a commissioned officer?

His records have him at Crosby on Eden from 13th July and a letter written by my uncle (surname Stanners) just after his arrival at the unit mentions that the course was to last 42 days. They were to be allowed 3 half days and 3 whole days off in that time. This would mean the course was completed sometime before the 18th September. I had used that date as his next unit No.304 FTU was with effect from 19th September.

If there are entries in the record book for his actual arrival and departure at the unit it would be great to have that confirmed.

RB

Thanks

Yes, a temporary commission does mean he was an officer for part of his time with the RAF.

The postings mentioned are only staff positions, in July there was no mention of personnel arriving for training courses. However No.14 course is recorded as having passed out on 14th September, which in the right sort of time period. The only course I have close to a full duration for from around the right time is No.15 course, the navigators arrived on August 18th (sometime after pilots) and the whole course passed out on the 28th September before going on leave (the length of leave isn't recorded) on the 30th before receiving their next postings, from what I can tell looking at other courses pilots arrived about 2 weeks ahead of navigators, but as I don't have the page for the start of August I don't have that record for 15 course.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/