Thread: Dulag Luft Frankfurt June 1944

Thanks

Default Dulag Luft Frankfurt June 1944

In a current thread about the 'Long March of Allied PoWs in 1945' Amongst many facts hitherto not fully understood, I spotted the words 'Dulag Luft' and where it was based in Germany. I had heard of this 'Dulag Luft' before but only recently came to realise its facilities etc were based in Frankfurt, Germany and not as a mobile organisation, based at Luftwaffe airfields. I am now puzzled as just before D-Day, my father, a Halifax navigator, was captured near Paris and in view of his burns & fractures , taken direct to the Luftwaffe Hospital in Beaujon, Cliché Paris. Years after the war, I clearly remember him mentioning (on more than once occasion) being interviewed in 1944 by a crafty Dulag Luft Intelligence Officer wearing a monocle and displaying a cruel grin. Yet Paris was liberated in August 1944 and my father repatriated to England soon after. Therefore, I can only think he must have been interviewed at the Paris hospital? Does anyone know the German Dulag Luft Interrogation system? - was it mobile as far as Paris was concerned? He couldn't have been the only PoW in this situation and in view of his injuries, can't see him being taken to Frankfurt before or even after his stay in Paris. It makes no sense at all. My father was unable to walk again till late 1945

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 12th October 2012 at 19:27. Reason: spelling errors

Thanks

Hi Norman,

Dulag and Dulag Luft were PoW transit camps.

Numerous locations over captured and German territory.

Look in the Camps section of the PoW lists on the main RAFCommands site for locations and numbers of some.

To refer to any of them by just "Dulag" without the number is like saying "RAF Station" without the name.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Dear Norman
    As Ross says there were numerous camps that were classified as Dulag Luft. The most commonly referred to on was located near Frankfurt, but that itself had three locations; Oberursel. Frankfurt and Wetzlar. There was another large camp in the eastern part of Germany later in the war. But again as Ross says there were numerous other locations. I recenly spoke to a Wop/Ag who was captured in Amsterdam and was interrogated there. He later went to Dulag Luft at Oberursel and was interrogated again by the same man. Another crew I know of were interrogated on capture but took over three months to get to Dulag Luft where they were interrogated again.
    Shall we put down multiple interrogations to German efficiency?!
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

There is a good chapter on this in Oliver Clutton Brock's "Footsteps on the Sands of Time"

Thanks

Thank you Ross and thank you James. I must now read the chapter in Oliver Clutton Brock's "Footsteps on the Sands of Time" If only to cure my left eye looking up and right eye looking down simultaneously! Is it a recently published book?

Norman

Thanks

Hi Norman,

My copy says it was published in 2003 by Grub Street, you should be able to pick up a copy somewhere.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Dear Norman
    ISBN 1-904010-35-0
    It is available from your local bookshop, well known female warrior web site, well known auction site and Abe Books which is always a good place to find out of print books. Abe Books is a central web site for lots of small independent bookshops selling 2nd hand books. The RRP is £35 but I have found it for less than £8 if you look around.
    Happy hunting
    James