Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire I K9886 54 Sqn 08.11.39

Thanks

Default Spitfire I K9886 54 Sqn 08.11.39

Spitfire I K9886 of 54 Sqn Crashed at Night on 08.11.39 - Does anyone have a pilot for this? I think it may be Sgt George Walter Couzens but would like confirmation if possible

A Sgt G Couzens is on my bale out list for around October 1939 and it could be a match but would like confirmation if possible

IGNORE Pilot of K9886 was Sgt ERIC JAMES COLE who was Killed

However still looking for a "Sgt G Couzens" bale out late 1939 - It could be Sgt George Walter Couzens or even Sgt Garnett Couzens who have have been in Far East

Paul
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 15th October 2012 at 10:29.

Thanks

"Sgt G Couzens" is Sgt. George Frederick Couzens, 565544; 57 Sqn and incident is Blenhiem L1129 on November 23, 1939 - LAC C Stevens baled out - . PO O C Hume killed

Thanks

My father was Sgt George Walter Couzens. As I am away from home at the moment, I cannot check records but will do when I return in a weeks time. Meanwhile I would find it really interesting to know how you lined his name, and that of his father, Garnett.

Many thanks
    John Couzens

Thanks

John

Thanks for your posting

I have a list of RAF and Commonweath (well Empire then) Irvin Caterpillar Parachute members up to April 1940 and one name on it was listed as 'Sgt.G Couzens' I was trying to identity who this was, and the actual date and incident (the list only has the year)

I had tried to see if it was a number of "G Couzens" listed in the AIR 78 files at the National Archives online. but in the end I worked out that the person I was looking for was actually Sgt. George Frederick Couzens #565544 who bailed out of Blenheim L1129 of 57 Sqn at Rosieres-En-Santerre on November 23, 1939 however it is not "Sgt George Walter Couzens" or even "Sgt Garnett Couzens"

LAC C Stevens also bailed out of this aircraft (still awaiting full name) and P/O Oliver Carlisle Hume #40394 was killed

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul - Sorry for highjacking your message.

Hi John, I am also interested in your father for another reason and have sent you a private mail through this website, in this regard.

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

LAC Charles French Stevens #537147 baled out of L1129

Thanks

Default LAC Charles French Stevens #537147 L1129

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    LAC Charles French Stevens #537147 baled out of L1129
    Hi, LAC Charles French Stevens is my Grandad. He passed away in 1985, but had written about the day he bailed out of the L1129 Bristol Blenheim in France. He spoke of the bravery of the Pilot, Oliver Carlisle Hume #40394 , who had told my Grandad and Sgt. George Frederick Couzens #565544 to bail, Hume stayed in the plane which was heading to crash in a nearby village, Grandad saw him divert the plane away, into a field, where it crashed.
    My family and I would be interested to hear from anyone who knew my Grandad, or friends/relatives of Couzens and Hume. We have his detailed account of this accident and would be happy to share it.

Venetia

Thanks

Venetia

You have made my day!

I would be very interested in reading your Grandad's account. I do not have much info on the loss of Bristol Blenheim L1129 on November 23, 1939. All I have is that in flew into tented accommodation on Rosieres-en- Santerre. I do not know why the pilot ordered the crew to bale out

Kind Regards and Many Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul
    thank you for your reply! Mum is going to type up Grandads account (it's quite difficult to read his writing from scanned copy). They were undertaking a shooting practise that day when the starboard wing had caught a bell tent at about 4 feet. When they got to about 6000 feet Grandad saw bits of tent and aileron coming off the wing. Hume did port wing turns, then after a number of checks told Grandad and Couzens to bale...Grandad had to cut along the hatch hinge to make a hole big enough to get out, then he jumped. He saw the Blenheim coming down in a shallow dive towards the village, but then it turned away towards the drome where it crashed into flames. It was only when Grandad saw the plane turn that he realised that Hume had stayed in it to turn the plane to the drome instead of the village! He describes Hume as a 'bloody good bloke'!
    I will send the full account, which is far more detailed, once mum has typed it. I hope that sheds some light on the incident for you, and please let me know if you find out any more!!! I would love to be able to share it with any of Humes' and/or Couzens' families!
    Many thanks
    Venetia

Thanks

Venetia

Your description now makes sence of the report. Many thanks I will reply with what I have to your private message tomorrow
    Kind regards
    Paul