Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Squadron badges

Thanks

Default RAF Squadron badges

Goord Morning to All,

Does anyone know the date H.M. King George VI (or H.M. Edouard VII) authorised the badges of the following squadrons:

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Thanks

Good Morning Phil,

Sorry to appear a 'smarty pants' but 'H M Edourd VII' died in 1910, I think you mean 'Edward VIII'.

The framed copies of the badges as approved by the King are displayed at the RAF Club in London. I'm sure a note asking if somebody could check the date on the badges would give you the answer you require and for all the badges involved.

The club secretary is Mr Peter Owen.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thank you for that Colin, for years I have wondered where copies are kept. And thank you for the club secretary's name

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 16th October 2012 at 13:05.

Thanks

Details can also be found in the AIR 2 series at the National Archives.
    Copies of the signed and dated crests can be found in these files.
    I have a copy of AIR2/6726 that covers 127 Sqn.
    The Date on the signed drawing in January 1945.
    The crest was submitted for approval on 17 November 1944.
    Regards
    Andy

Thanks

Colin, Andy,

Would you know where the original artists impressions - signed by the Chester Herald are kept?

Norman

Thanks

I always wondered about that as well - where are the original drawings kept?

Thanks

I think the drawing had to be submitted to the Royal College of Arms and for them to give the OK for it to be officially recognised, they didn't want anyone making a faux pas with their Latin or getting their blazons in the wrong order!
    So I would think they would retain the original for their records.

Pete

Thanks

Norman,

Sorry, I do not know what the precise process was to get a badge approved.

Knowing the air force bureaucracy, I expect there were several iterations of design for the badge and I expect quite a bit of 'tooing and froing'. At some stage the design would have been submitted to the Chester Herald - sounds like a disgusting local rag, rather than a person/office of some importance - for translation into the formal description. After this I suppose His Majesty would be requested to sign it to show acceptance.

I know that copies of badges can be requested - and paid for - but I don't know whether there was a formal distribution list for the initially approved design.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hello,

I confirm what Andy wrote in post #4. I was looking for details about No. 1697 flight (Air Letter Despatch Service) and checked the online catalogue at Kew. I copied with my digital camera their ORB in AIR 29 and also the AIR 2 file which was about the unit badge. Will have a look tonight at these pictures and will tell what this file contained. I remember it was a small folder, about 10 pages only, with the drawing of the unit badge obviously, but I'm 99 % sure from memory that it was a black & white reproduction of the badge in that folder.

More tonight.

Joss

Thanks

I have some pages from the one of the AIR2 folders dealing with Indian Air Force Unit Badges. and it is merely communication (one way) when the final badge was produced and photographic copies were sent to the the Unit and other Unit.

One letter for example was addressed to the Royal Indian Air Force Liason Officer in the India Office (in UK) mentioning that 30 signed photographic prints and 30 unsigned photographic prints were being sent along with the letter.

A file about the Air HQ (I) Communication Squadron had some more interesting back and forth communication on the badge design etc the letters are signed J B Heaton Amrstrong "Chester Herald". there was a request to change the motto on the final drawing and a final letter from Director Personal Services to the AOC India to present the badge to the unit (all circa 1946)