Thread: Trying to identifty Unit Two Aircraft Incidents March 6, 1939 and May/June 1939?

Thanks

Default Trying to identifty Unit Two Aircraft Incidents March 6, 1939 and May/June 1939?

From

Western Daily Press
    Tue 07 Mar 1939
    MEN JUMP FROM R.A.F. PLANE
    Pilot Saves It and Flies On
    When an R.A.F. bomber 'plane developed engine trouble while flying over the Yorkshire hills yesterday, the pilot ordered his two passengers to make a parachute jump. After the men had jumped, the machine regained height and flew off, eventually landing at Doncaster civil aerodrome. The two men who jumped from the 'plane, Flight-Sergt. Frederick John Percival and Aircraftman James Allen, landed near a farm at Bradfleld, near Sheffield. One was slightly injured about the face and both were treated at Sheffield Royal infirmary for shock, but were not detained. The 'plane was flying from Didcot. Berks, to Durham, and when the machine passed over Bradfield it suddenly developed engine trouble. A crash seemed almost inevitable and the pilot told the other two members of the crew to jump. When near the ground the 'plane suddenly gathered speed and gained height. The pilot managed to keep the engine going long enough to allow him to reach Doncaster. After attending to the engine he flew on to Durham.

I was wondering if the Unit for this incident could be identified - another paper says Flight-Sergeant Frederick John Percival and Aircraftman James Allen, both stationed at Harwell, Berks - so I wonder if it is either
    105 Sqn (Battle), 107 Sqn (Blenheim), 226 Sqn (Battle)

What is interesting is around maybe May to June 1939 I have the following two names (assumed linked)
    Sgt C Hart
    LAC Allen (2nd Jump) - I am assuming this is the same James Allen from above...

The names come after Sgt John Granville Lingard (May 18, 1939 Blenheim L1439) and before
    P/O Donald Alexander John Foster (June 20, 1939 Battle K9249)

If I could ID the Sqn I may have a fighting chance of Identifying the second incident or at least orderng the ORB

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Google search throws up Sergeant Frederick J. Percival, RAF 562846 of , 226 Sqdn missinmg 14/05/1940 - Assuming he was at 226 Sqn inMarch 1939 - Anyone have a Battle incident in May/June 1939 for 226 Sqn?

Looking good for 226 Sqn. Sgt C.S. Hart PoW K9183 226 Sqn Lost: 10/05/1940
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 18th October 2012 at 09:32.