Thread: F/Lt R D C Gibson, 21 squadron

Thanks

Default F/Lt R D C Gibson, 21 squadron

Within the RAF Watton website (www.rafwatton.info) section “memories”, “pilots of 21 squadron 1939” lays a photo of the pilots posed with a Blenheim IV. Included is F/Lt R D C Gibson of whom I have an interest as he trained at Spittlegate – my local airfield.

Would anyone with knowledge of the source of this photograph please help as I seek a copy.

Before anyone suggest I contact the website, this has been done twice without response, hence opening it up to the experts here. Flattery will get you every where, well sometimes !

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Thanks

Copy of subject photo now sourced but if anyone can add details to Robert Gibson's RAF service this would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Ian

Thanks

I have just logged on to this site. So sorry for not posting sooner.
    I was his researcher and editor. He was a Glasgow publisher. I was the editor for his primary publications
    He was a regular and enlisted in 1935. I have a copy of some of the aircraft he flew with serials. He appears in Tuck's book.
    He was posted to Abbotsinch and he said it was there he formed 21 Squadron with Hinds. He took over 602s aircraft after a storm.
    He then flew south to form the squadron with Blenheim 1s. He preferred the 1 to the iv. He was involved in the raids over the low
    countries. when I mentioned Embry he would fly into tantrums. I did this often because he was very peppery. He flew from Lossiemouth and got his DFC for photographing the German air force Junkers. His camera froze, for this single shot he got his DFC. His aircraft was hi in the nose. someone did a history of Blenheim's and there is a back view of him approaching the smashed Blenheim. He told me the AA round went into the navigator's bag and stank the aircraft out. after this he heard the Blenheim's were to be used for anti-shipping. He transferred to Wellingtons at a race course. He flew the squadron to Gibraltar then Africa. He was master navigator and flew the Blenheim's to Turkey in Formation. Again this is mentioned in a book. In Africa he was on staff . He had something to do with the South Africans. He got sand fever in Egypt. Only the RC padre was interested in him and he saw that all his stuff was transferred to the UK and that his family were informed. He took over a combined Swordfish/Albacore Squadron in 1944 for anti-E boat operations for which he received a bar to his DFC. He spoke of being in a Belgian café. He left his jeep outside when he got to the jeep it had been blown to bits. When the war finished he asked if he could be released and he was off the station in 40 minutes. He left with his Italian motor bike, pistol and parachute. He lived in Kilcregan and had a Blenheim prop outside his house. When his dad died he took over the Gibson publishing house. He died in July 1994. Totally unexpected. I was working with him on the Friday and he died on the Saturday. Befitting his nature he had an E Type jaguar which he drove daily. I remember he lost the rag one day and I was sent for to calm him down. He had a Rolls - Royce which we took for a spin. That calmed him down. He tried pulling rank on me one day and I told him to get lost. He sold his books world wide and he was travelling to the day he died. Flying - he loved it and this set him apart RIP