Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito NFXIII HK454 5 Feb '44 Crash at Tilty, Essex AND Lancaster same day

Thanks

Default Mosquito NFXIII HK454 5 Feb '44 Crash at Tilty, Essex AND Lancaster same day

Hello,
    I am researching the crash of Mosquito HK454 which crashed at Tilty, Essex on 5 Feb 1944.
    I have raf reports but the aircraft crashed due to wing failure after only 70 hours flying so the inquiry was handed over to the AIB. I would really like to see the AIB report to see what they found-is this possible?

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=73035

Also perhaps unrelated was a crash of a RAF Lancaster (115 sqn?), near RAF Great Dunmow / Easton Lodge, Home to the USAAF 386th BG at the time. I am trying to trace the aircraft and why it crashed, all help much appreciated thanks.

http://www.theworldatwar.info/ww2barryraf.html

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2716658/BISHOP,%20WILLIAM%20JOHN%20BARRIE

Thanks for all help.

Thanks

Any surviving AIB reports are hed at the TNA in the AVIA 5 series.

Best way to search is to look for 454 and limit to AVIA 5 but in this case nothing is found suggesting no report survived.

The Form 1180 is available from RAF Museum, Hendon (misfiled as HX454) and has no reference in the AIB box.

However on the back under other Evidence is a note of the AIB findings.

"Aircraft pulling out from dive. U/c door became detached struck rudder and fin causing them to collapse resulting in a sudden elevator movement of sufficient severity to cause failure of wings in upload."

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks very much Ross; can you tell me if i can order a copy of form 1180 pls by post and a address pls?

Also do you have any details on the Lanc?

Thanks

All the contact methods are on RAF Museum Hendon web site

Toss
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Darren,
    Lancaster DS827, Mk2, KO-B, 115 Sqn, Witchford, took off from base at 1826, on a Bullseye exercise. Crashed near Great Dunmow airfield, probably by the village of Takeley, at 2020 hrs. All eight crew killed. Cause of accident not given.
    Pilot; F/Sgt W J B BISHOP, 1337955, RAFVR.
    Nav; Sgt C G MAGNESS, 1579523, RAFVR.
    A/B; Sgt J C SPEECHLY, 1324131, RAFVR.
    F/E; Sgt R E GREEN, 1581870, RAFVR.
    WOp; Sgt J CARLESS, 1501828, RAFVR.
    MU/G; Sgt P F PALMER, 543152, RAF.
    R/G; Sgt H D CLOUGH, 1671810, RAFVR.
    Passenger; 1st Lt C A WEBER, 0-672518, USAAF.

Regards, Doug.

Thanks

Thank you very much.
    Pls excuse my ignorance-What was a 'Bullseye exercise'?

And Thanks Ross-I will contact Hendon.

Thanks

Darren,
    As I understand it, a Bullseye was a cross-country navigation exercise.
    Doug.

Thanks

Hello
    Bullseye (bull's eye) is an exercises the night fighters with anti-aircraft searchlight.
    (Antiaircraft searchlight without glass).
    Regards Pavel

Thanks

Thanks Everyone for yr help. This site really is a gold mine of excellent info.
    So it seems the Mossie crash and the Lanc crash although on the same day and within a few miles of each other were not connected.
    I have written to the RAF asking for details on the Lanc crash. Also asking if they have any details on the AIB report on the mossie crash. The records i have (RAF forms 1180,765 and 412), all say structural wing failure in flight but they refer the crash to the AIB as the aircraft was only 70 hours old and they obviously wanted to find out why. I really hope they have somthing from the AIB report.

Thanks

Searchlight Batterys in WW2
    In my research into the crash on HK454 the RAF Form 412 'Proceedings of court of Inquiry', mentions a searchlight battery near the crash site who were witnesses, the 508th searchlight battery.
    I understand all searchlight batterys came under the Royal Artillery.
    Does anyone know if their logs/records have survived and could i expect to find anything in them?

Also would the battery be set up near an airfield and would it have anti aircraft guns as well??