Thread: CO, 226 Sqn

Thanks

Default CO, 226 Sqn

Hi,

Who was CO of the 226 Sqn with Battles in May 1940 please ?

TIA,
    Michal

Thanks

Charles Edward Stuart Lockett from 1938 until he was shotdown and made POW on the 14th May.

He went on to become Air Commodore:

http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Lockett.htm

A

Thanks

Hi Amrit,

Thanks a lot for the name. It is interesting that Lockett was CO in S/L rank when other two Battle Squadron in the 76 Wing had COs in customary W/C rank, as well as another Battle (bomber) Squadrons.

Regards,
    Michal

Thanks

Default To Mr Cornwell / CO, 226 Sqn

Peter,

Could you confirm, according to previously mentioned Appendix C2 'Location of Units Adminstered by AASF 10th May 1940' that C.E.S Lockett was CO in (only) Squadron Leader rank please ?

TIA,
    Michal

Thanks

Default CO No.226 Squadron

Michal,

You are right to ask. The No.226 Squadron ORB (AIR27/1406) confirms that W/Cdr H. C. Parker took over command from W/Cdr S. L. G. Pope on May 4, 1940. It was normal for the OC of Battle units to be a Wing Commander, the Flight Commanders being Squadron Leaders. I guess this is creating confusion for some people.

Thanks

Peter,

So W/C Parker is my man for Order of Battle, AASF for 14 May ! Thank you for the info.

Regards,
    Michal

Thanks

Default C E S Lockett

As my website www.rafweb.org has been quoted and I may have mudded the waters with this one I have revised my entry.

Lockett was definitely the CO of 226 Sqn from 1938, but it would appear that the appointment of COs in Battle squadrons was raised to Wg Cdr in around March 1939, which accounts for Pope taking over and Lockett would have reverted to Flt Cdr.

Thanks

Default C.O 226 Squadron

Delving in the Past My father S.L.G. Pope was relieved of command of 226 squadron according to This thread on May 04/40 I am writing his biography and have a gap between that date and about a month later when he reappeared in UK after the collapse of France much to the Family's relief. Then was was promoted to Group Captain and was made AOC Leuchers.

Would appreciate any info available Poppy never would talk about that period of his life He hated the Battle and campaigned perhaps too strongly for it to be withdrawn from the AASF. He was much worried about the anticipated loss of available aircrew. He was tragically prooved to be correct.

Thanks

Parker was posted to command 226 Squadron from 40 Squadron, where he had been a flight commander - and none too popular, incidentally. One complaint was that he was not particularly keen on flying!

David