Thread: Trade WOM x WOM (Air)

Thanks

Default Trade WOM x WOM (Air)

Hi all,

in the older thread I have found that WOM stands for Wireless Operator Mechanic and it was the ground trade.
    I agree as I have some members of ground staff with such a trade.

But now I found out that some airmen serving in the trade WO/AG when returning to the second operational tour passed an addition course at Radio School being posted as a crew to the Squadron equipped by Liberators with ASV radar as WOM (Air) - it happens from 1944.

Anyone can explain me what this can mean? From my point of view it looks like a cover-up and their were in the fact Radar Operators?

Any ideas much appreciated

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

Traced back to the early days of the flying boats and Coastal Command.

The flying boats were expected to operate for extended periods away from base and the associated ground support trades.

To this end WOM/FME/FMA trained ground crew were added to travel with the aircraft and carry out turnround and fault rectification. In common with other ground trades pre/early war they took flight pay and acted as Air Gunners.

The airborne trade of WOM continued in Coastal and was extended to the Liberator/Fortress/Halifax long range replacement for the Sunderland units and mirrored the requirement for the radar operator to be more than just an operator but to also maintain and adjust the sets.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Many thanks for detailed explanation Ross!

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz