Thread: Spitfire K9935

Thanks

Default Spitfire K9935

I am reaserching this crash.
    The aircraft was from 58 OTU RAF Grangemouth & crashed @ Whitefields House, Red Row Northumberland 2 miles S/E of RAF Acklington. The pilot P/O RH Jagger was killed.
    I have spoken to the land owner who's family have had the farm since 1942, & they are unaware of any crash site.
    This is the same farm that the DH 87B Hornet Moth with Danish registration OY-DOK landed at on 22 June 1941.

Any help

Thanks

Default Spitfire K9935

Hi Chris,

Not sure of your question? You say you are researching the crash and give details of a/c,serial, location & pilot. What is it you are looking for?

Here are CWGC details:

Name: JAGGER, RICHARD HUGH
    Initials: R H
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Date of Death: 14/04/1941
    Service No: 61220
    Additional information: Son of Lt.-Col. Hugh Cleivion Jagger, O.B.E., formerly of the R.A.V.C., and of Margaret G. Jagger, of Beaconsfield. Scholar of Stowe School.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Cemetery: TYLERS GREEN (ST. MARGARET) CHURCHYARD

What you gave appears to be what is in `NORTHUMBERLAND AVIATION DIARY` by Derek Walton, and details are backed up by Air Britain.

Regards.
    Dave

Thanks

This aircraft was previously with 72 Sqn

It had a Cat C accident at Church Fenton when on 25.5.39, P.O R.J.Walker has his first night flight on type. He undershot landing, port undercarriage collapsed and tipped on nose

later (and still with 72 Sn) it was damaged by a Bf109 over the Channel on 5.10.39, F/Sgt STEERE safe

It arrived at 58 OTU at 9.3.41

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post
    I am reaserching this crash.
    The aircraft was from 58 OTU RAF Grangemouth & crashed @ Whitefields House, Red Row Northumberland 2 miles S/E of RAF Acklington. The pilot P/O RH Jagger was killed.
    I have spoken to the land owner who's family have had the farm since 1942, & they are unaware of any crash site.
    This is the same farm that the DH 87B Hornet Moth with Danish registration OY-DOK landed at on 22 June 1941.

Any help
    Hi Chris,
    The other two gents got in before me. Whitefield House Farm appears to be in the area of Chevington rather than Red Row. Derek Walton's book gives the location of the Hornet Moth landing as Whitefield House Farm, Chevington Drift. All of this area suffered badly throughout the fifties, due to opencast mining and the place has been remoddeled. Parts of Chevington, including the Drift have now vanished as will any sign of any crash site.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Hopefully the crash site it self, you see I work in this area & Whitefields farm is Red Row, infact it is across the road from my old Infants school.
    To the East of the farm towards Chevington was open cast but to the West was not.

Thanks

Hi Chris,
    I don't know what period you are referring to but this area has undergone many changes due to opencast mining. Whitefield House Farm (no S) lies south of Chevington Burn and officially is in Chevington.....scroll down to Ws here http://pscm.northumberland.gov.uk/pls/portal92/docs/11802
    The area to the east was practically destroyed after the 50s due to the above mining. To the west of Whitefield House Farm the area was also opencasted and this was part of the Maidens Hall Site, only a hundred yards or so was left untouched. You may be lucky enough to find your Spitfire came down in that hundred yards, however, if it was that close to the farm I would have thought the farmers family would be aware of it.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

falkirk bairn Guest

Default Spitfire k9935

Hi chris,

hope this helps with your research:-14.04.1941 Pilot Officer RH Jagger. Spitfire K9935 Acklington , Northumberland.
    Stalled and spun into the ground after returning to Acklington Aerodrome on completion of air to air firing. Sent to SAL for repair on 18.4.41, but struck off charge on 30.4.41.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by falkirk bairn View Post
    Hi chris,

hope this helps with your research:-14.04.1941 Pilot Officer RH Jagger. Spitfire K9935 Acklington , Northumberland.
    Stalled and spun into the ground after returning to Acklington Aerodrome on completion of air to air firing. Sent to SAL for repair on 18.4.41, but struck off charge on 30.4.41.
    I can confirm this a/c did not crash at Whitefields farm Red Row, it crashed at Togston Barnes farm Togston, nr North Broomhill, some 3 miles from Whitefields farm.

Info from BDM + eyewitness.

Thank you all

Chris