Thread: Medical category 2 (a) feet

Thanks

Default Medical category 2 (a) feet

Hi
    I have my father's RAF record and on his joining date is the above. Can anyone tell me what this means? Would he have been excluded from flying because of it?
    Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Thanks

My understanding is that only Grade I were considered for aircrew, but others would need to confirm this.

In an attempt to help with your understanding of Grade II (a) feet, the following provides the official definition:

"Those who, while suffering from disabilities disqualifying them from Grade I, do not suffer from progressive organic disease, have fair hearing and vision, are of moderate muscular development, and are able to undergo a considerable amount of physical exertion not involving severe strain.

When a person is placed on this grade solely on account of either defects of visual acuity or deformities of the lower extremities, or both, the letter “(a)” followed by the words “vision” or “feet” in brackets is inserted after the grade"

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Default Feet

Thanks PeteT
    I wonder why he went to no 32 OTU in Canada for 2 years, presumably to train for something else then, ground crew? I looked at No 32OTU records at The N A last Thursday and it seemed more like a holiday camp with all the activities that went on. No mention of his name though.

Thanks again

Thanks

The Canadian School Daily Diaires often focused on the "social life" of the unit. What movies were shown, sports activities, what dinner was like, etc. For operation records you need to find the Operational Record Book, which will record flights, crew names, etc. There should also be monthly or weekly summaries of people posted in and out, head counts, and aircraft servicability. In the Canadian archives these are filed along with the Diary, I'm not sure how the UK records are kept.

Thanks

I'm not trying to hijack this Thread, or cause Thread Drift - but when did the Medical Cats of A?, G?, Z?, come in? I was (in the early 50's) A4, G1, Z1. A was for Aircrew fitness (A4 said you could be Pax, or Supernumerary Crew - but I was never tested for Aircrew), G1 was Ground Fitness, and Z1 said you could serve in any climatic regime without it affecting your health to the extent that you (or your NoK!!!) might sue Air Min/MoD!!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!