Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W/O Antoni Zwierowski P781401

Thanks

Default W/O Antoni Zwierowski P781401

Hi there,
    I have information on this Spitfire pilot going to 58 OTU, then 308, 303, 65, 130, 64 & 317 sqns and later to training units.
    What I cannot find is where in Poland did he come from and how he got to the UK with possible dates please.
    Thank you,
    Roy

Thanks

There are five persons in Poland having this name, all living in Cracow, so there is a possibility, he is coming from there. Judging by his service number, he arrived to the UK after the fall of France. That is all I can tell at the moment.

Thanks

Default W/O Zwierowski

Hello again Franek,
    Once again you have been most helpful, on this Polish pilot.
    I did find out from Raymond Baxter who was on 65 sqn with Antoni that he was given the name 'Whisky' for his liking for the drink.
    I look forward to hear from you on any further information.
    Thank you,
    Roy

Thanks

In fact his service number is in a block allocated to Polish servicemen who arrived in UK in March 1940.

Thanks

Default Polish AF batch numbers

Hello Voy Tech'
    Many thanks for this infomation, the Polish P numbers have always been a puzzle. Is there any site that has lists of these numbers, It has taken me years to sort the RAF/VR allocations.
    Thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

Hi Roy,

Aces High vol 2 has a list of service numbers and I will email you later. The number in question is listed as Poles enlisting in the UK Dec 1939 to August 1940 - does Voy Tech have a break down of this group to quote March '40 ?

It is also easy to see his nickname could be a corruption of the last part of his surname.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Default Service numbers

Hi Ian,
    Many thanks for your help, this list will be most helpful.
    Yes I have thought the same of Voy Tech's name, the name has been changed to protect the innocent.
    Thanks to all.
    Roy

Thanks

I do not think there is anything innocent behind Voy Tech's name.
    No detailed break down of Polish NCOs serials has been published to my knowledge, but it is possible to narrow down the period, the man was drafted by checking personal papers of other people in the block.

Thanks

Default Polish service numbers

Hi Franek,
    I did not wish to offend by my comment, I am grateful to all of you for your help, thank you.
    So no NCO serials are available, but the Aces High Vol II list is a great help.
    Thanks to all,
    Roy

Thanks

Roy, your remark about protecting the innocent has puzzled me... Personally, I'd rather say that the name I use here has been changed to protect the guilty.

Yes, I narrowed the period down by checking all numbers in the 7813xx-7815xx range that I was able to verify. They were allocated to men who arrived in UK during March 1940. I know of no detailed breakdown of these numbers by period of allocation available in any publication, either on paper or on the net.