Thread: Operation AROMA

Thanks

Default Operation AROMA

Dear All,
    Does anyone know where I can find the details of the various occasions when Op AROMA was activated? For those not in the know, this was the air-sampling operation subsequent to a number of nuclear tests (by various countries!!). Am accumulating info for a history.
    TIA
    Peter Davies.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default have you seen...?

Hello Peter, hope you are well. Have you seen ...

ES5/387 Operation AROMA III (Midway, June-July 1973)

... at Kew?

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Bruce, tks yrs. Moderately well tks for asking.
    Can't get to TNA, so not seen yr TNA ref.
    If this is the AROMA Det I think it was then one of my Sqn Ldrs found himself at Lima with a VC-10. I think MCSU were catering for the Det. The Sgt sent a Cpl + 1 down to the local market to get some fresh veg. They came back with fresh veg, AND a demi-john of Peruvian Brandy!! "Fer rice cake", says the Sgt, "what did that cost?". "(equivalent of) 1.50" says the Cpl, "But go careful with it - there's a 1 back on the demi-john". Thus you can see why the details of some of these Dets were NOT always recorded in routine Reports Of Work and/or RAF F540, etc , or admitted to afterwards !!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Default Atomic Met Men 1950s

Hello Peter,

If its of use in your research, I have the records of 76 Sqn 'atomic sniffing' days in the 1950s. (300 pages) Let me know if you would like me to read through it all to see if there is any mention of atomic met men activity.

Norman

Thanks

Hi Peter

Not sure if this is quite the same thing but possibly related, dating from the August 1960 -
    http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/AD0404230

One for those who love maths!

Regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Tks all,

At this stage of the investigation I am more concerned with the VC-10 long-range operations, and their supporting Dets.

Norman,
    Hold the 300 pages for the time being! (I was a Met Man at Wittering when the 76 Sqn Canberras bu$$ered-off somewhere, but we were not allowed to know/say where/why!)

Bruce,
    Will make arrangements to view yr ref. Midway interests me as this might also be one of the long-range sampling jobs that my Unclas/Conf records of the time was not allowed to note!!

Pierre,
    It is clearly obvious from eq 5 on p 1 that the 'theta squared' term has been accidentally inverted, thus causing some mathematical difficulty on my part!!! (I lie like a cheap watch!!)
    Having been the Met Man to UKWMO for some years I was told that the trick was - in monitoring - to be down-wind, but not near enough downwind to actually get the radiation to fall on you. I'm told that the ROC Posts (once the flashes and bangs had reduced) would sent someone outside to recce. If, when (s)he returned to the entrance, they 'ticked/glowed' too loudly/brightly they would not be let back in!! Some recent images of NYC (but minus the RADHAZ) could have been taken from Home Office training films!!!

Tks all. Keep yr eyes peeled for me if you would!!

Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd November 2012 at 15:28. Reason: Spelling