Thread: Need help finding fathers service records. He was British but served in the RCAF

Thanks

Default Need help finding fathers service records. He was British but served in the RCAF

My father never spoke of the war. He passed away in 2003 and only recently have I come into possession of a WW2 silk map he had and used to evade capture during the war. I understand from a family member that he was given the flying boot for his safe return.
    As I mentioned he was British and when he enlisted they assigned him to the RCAF. I have a Legion card (issued in London, UK) with his name, Rank and registration number on it. I have some photos of him with captions showing he was in Heliopolis, Egypt in 1941 and a Christmas dinner menu from H.Q.RAF.M.E.
    Would I look in Canada for records or in Britain? He lived in Britain before and after the war but we later emigrated to Canada in the 1960's.

Thanks

If you can post the full details I am sure we can help you, the late arrivals club would be appropriate to service in North Africa.

Thanks

We need his name to be able to properly assist you, cheers.

Have you requested his service file from the Canadian national archives? It will list all his postings and mainy other useful bits of information. I'd suggest going for the paid service it might speed things up.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-909.007-e.html

If/when you do get it, please let us know what it said and we can help you with any queries you have.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 3rd November 2012 at 16:41.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thank you for such prompt replies
    His name was William Cleaver, the card says F/Sgt R-93554 RCAF

Thanks

The service details confirm that the records will be available via the Canadian records. As mentioned they will provide all you need to know. I have sent a private E mail to you as well.

Thanks

Default LAC's 20 year rule

Unfortunately, as he only passed away in 2003, his records will not be available until 2023.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Except the rule does not apply to relatives where proof of kinship is provided, see item 2 under access restrictions in the link given in post 3.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

My father, an WWII RCAF pilot passed away in 2009. Until the 20 year rule expires you need to prove your relationship and proof of death (such as a death certificate and newspaper orbit). I ordered his service file and received about 30 pages of information - much was left out like his entire medical and dental history (he had two operations while serving in the UK) - who knows what else was vetted. I even had my mother order the file and it was almost the same - she got a few more pages. Still very valuable and interesting information and there were a couple of photo's which was nice. This compares to my uncle's file KIA 1943 whose full file is 200 pages. Good luck.

Cheers
    Rodger
    In remembrance of the crew of Halifax HR732
    51 Squadron Snaith - All LWT Leipzig 4 December 1943

Thanks

Thank you all! I will surely follow up once I have some info!