Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on P/O Bryan Donald Hughes (Can/J.10765), KIA on 13th July 1942

Thanks

Default Information on P/O Bryan Donald Hughes (Can/J.10765), KIA on 13th July 1942

Good night to all,
    I would like to know more details of the desmise (cause of death) of this airman (do not know if a pilot or navigator, etc..), killed on the 13th July 1942.
    His service number CAN FORCES J.10765
    He was 19 years old.
    ANY information of the aircraft he was flying on, and of the Squadron/Unit would be welcomed
    Thanks in advance,
    Adriano S. BAUMGARTNER

Thanks

Killed in flying accident, 13 July 1942, No,.14 Service Flying Training School, Aylmer, Ontario, Harvard 3269 (loss of control, spin).

His pupil (also killed) was LAC J.W. Littlejohn, Royal Australian Air Force.

Thanks

Hello,

A bit more detail:

13-7-1942
    No.14 SFTS, Aylmer
    Harvard IIB 3269

An aircraft being flown by P/O B.D.Hughes RCAF (Instructor Pilot), and LAC J W Littlejohn RAAF (Pupil Pilot), was engaged in practising spins. The aircraft was seen to spin from a height of 7,000 feet without recovery until at a very low altitude of approx 1,000 feet, from which height it crashed directly into the ground. The aircraft crashed at 0939 hours, one mile west of the main drome of No.14 SFTS, Aylmer, and both the crew were killed.

J/10765 P/O (Instructor Pilot) Bryan Donald HUGHES RCAF +
    AUS420217 LAC (Pupil Pilot) Joseph William LITTLEJOHN RAAF +

Both buried Aylmer Cemetery, Ontario, Canada.

See:

http://www.awm.gov.au/catalogue/research_centre/pdf/rc09125z023_1.pdf

p.82 of 508

and...

http://www.ody.ca/~bwalker/RCAF_3250_3299_detailed.html

At the National Archives of Australia, you will find an undigitised (A705) file containing the Court of Inquiry for this accident: NAA: A705, 32/4/96.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th November 2012 at 04:13.

Thanks

Thanks for quoting my web pages Col, but this is a very old and not very accurate page. The aircraft in question was Category C (repairable on site) on 25 March and 26 May 1942, then Category A (damaged beyond economical repair) on 13 July 1942. The rest of my information for this crash matches your post, with the initial finding being "cause obscure".

Thanks

G'Day Bill,

I obtained the basic information on Harvard 3269 quite a few years ago, from a Dept. of Air (Aust.), Registration booklet. I have found your site most useful for verification of type/mark/serial etc. Oft used, seldom acknowledged! Just take the opportunity to thank you for the update, and usage.

I would also appreciate information as to why LAC Littlejohn is buried in the Lemon Family Plot, at Aylmer Cemetery.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th November 2012 at 05:41.

Thanks

Col. Bruggy, Bill and Hugh,

Again, I DO HAVE NO WORDS to express my gratitude to your most valuable help!

HUGH, you being a Canadian...do you believe where is it possible to obtain a copy of the 14 SFTS War Diary? I would like to know WHEN P/O Hughes came to this unit as a Flight Instructor. Am trying to obtain his full service record.

YOU both gave me "a north" to follow on my research! THANK YOU VERY MUCH...I am really in debt!

Sincere and MOST GRATEFULLY yours,
    Adriano S. Baumgartner

Thanks

Default R: P/O B.D. Hughes and No.14 SFTS Aylmer

Adriano,
    Just recently came across your post. Are you still looking for information? If so I might be able to help.

Col. Bruggy,
    In response to your question re Littlejohns grave plot. Mr. Raymond Lemon was the owner of a drug store (Chemist Shop if you are in the UK) in Aylmer who requested and was granted permission to provide the grave plots and headstones for both Hughes and Littlejohn although the CWGC does not state that he did so for Hughes.
    Mr. Lemon had earlier also provided the plot for LAC Brockoff in December 1941. Interestingly, after the deaths of Hughes and Littlejohn the Aylmer Cemetery Board set aside two further plots in the event that more fatalities would follow. Sadly, even this gesture proved to be insufficient.

Regards,
    Colin

Thanks

Default P/O Bryan Donald Hughes

Colin,

YES, although I obtained quite a lot of information on P/O Hughes from this site and the generous people who contributed to this thread (to whom I am in debt), I am still looking for details of P/O Hughes' career in the RCAF...his entry, the Flying Training Schools he attended, etc...anything will be of interest.

I am currently dealing (so far some 360 pages written) on a major work that will cover Brazilian pilots who enlisted, flew and died for (most of them) the RAF, RCAF and SAAF (at least one). Have managed to find some relatives, here in Brazil, but I do guess most of the families returned to the UK in mid 30's.

Hughes is one of those Brazilian born pilots...this is the reason of my personal interest on his story and sad end. I never mentioned it before...neither that I intend to DONATE ALL REVENUES from my works (and passionate hobby) to charity (associations and projects that deal with poor children in Brazil).

My personal email is: baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br

I will be glad to hear from you Colin...Thanks again for the help and interest.
    Yours, must sincerely
    Adriano S. BAUMGARTNER

Thanks

Default Tried the LAC?

Adriano,

The questions you wish answered on P/O Hughes will be available in his RCAF service file, held by the LAC in Ottawa. Training schools, profession pre-war, medical. It's all there.

It is also fully declassified. No next of kin permission is required to see it and have copies made.

The LAC will also send you 25 pages from his file, free of charge.

Go to:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/war-dead/001056-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=16680&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=rbj0gvp igek0u2dt2rf61njou6

and click on "How to consult a file or order a copy"

One downside: Busy place and about a six month wait.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

OK Adriano, I'll put something together and PM you.

All the best,
    Colin