Thread: memorial for the crew of Halifax LW165 of No. 427 Squadron, at Ecurie (France)

Thanks

Default memorial for the crew of Halifax LW165 of No. 427 Squadron, at Ecurie (France)

Hello,

Earlier today a memorial was unveiled at Ecurie, 5 km north of Arras, in the Pas-de-Calais département in northern France, for the crew of Halifax III LW165 ZL-M, which crashed there during the night 12/13 June 1944.

You can view some pictures I took at this address :

http://www.aerostories.org/~aeroforums/forumactu/aff.php?nummsg=9587

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,

Thank you for providing the opportunity to view the pictures of a memorial to 427 Squadron. However, regarding the inscription on the memorial plaque, I was puzzled to see a picture of a 76 Squadron Halifax with code - MP-L and not as expected, a 427 Squadron aircraft LW165 - code ZL -M.

Thank you
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 8th November 2012 at 14:37. Reason: amending Ross to Joss

Thanks

Hello,

I know about this. The builders / organisers are no expert in aviation history, they copied an existing drawing of a Halifax for the text plaque.

They also constantly kept on refering to the unit at 427th Squadron / 427ème escadrille.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

Thank you for bringing this new memorial to our attention and for all the tireless work that you do in your little corner of France to keep the memory alive.

I was very touched by the photograph of the young boy photographed speaking at the event. It is so important to try and involve the younger generation in such events as they are the future who will hopefully carry the memories on.

Best Wishes
    Linzee

Thanks

Hello Linzee,

Thanks for your kind words.

My small association is indeed working to keep the memory alive, but we haven't created this memorial. I don't want to look like someone trying to "scrounge" others' deeds.

We usually receive families of WW2 airmen (very few veterans are not able to travel now) and organise displays, the last one was at Lens airshow, dedicated to Polish airmen in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais in WW2.

Actually our next project is a commemorative plaque for New-Zealand Spitfire Pilot Godfrey Alan McKOY, No. 64 Squadron, KIA 26 January 1943, which we aim to unveil on 26 January 2013. Then another plaque for a U.S. B-17 crew, in May.

Joss