Thread: W/O A/G Norman Harry Williams

Thanks

Default W/O A/G Norman Harry Williams

Hi
    Can anyone give me any Info regarding the above airman I know he was with 142 Squadron and lost his life on 9 4 1943 He was R.A.F.V.R No 12131774 I am Interested to find out who his other crew members were
    Many thanks to you all for your help In the past
    Harold Dummer

Thanks

Hello,

Fri 9/Sat 10 Apr 1943
    MEDITERRANEAN AIR COMMAND
    Attack on enemy troops and transports on two roads 15 miles from Enfidaville, Tunisia.
    142 Squadron, RAF (Blida, Algeria - 330 Wing, Northwest African Tactical Air Force)
    Wellington III HF795 - took off at 1835 captained by Sgt G A Sherwood, RAF and seen from a 150 Sqn aircraft at about 2200 to be climbing at 4,000 feet, but trailing sparks and black smoke. Later crashed and burned out near St Marie du Zit, 16km west of Zaghouan. The five crew are buried in a collective grave at Massicault, 26km west of Tunis.

Air Gunner: NZ416021 Sgt John Walter SMITH, RNZAF - Age 35, 150hrs, 4th op.

See:
    For Your Tomorrow:A Record of New Zealanders who have Died while Serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915. Volume Two: Fates 1943-1998.
    Martyn,Errol W.
    Christchurch:Volplane Press,1999.
    p.83.

Full Crew:

1337809 Sgt (Capt./Pilot) George Arthur SHERWOOD RAFVR +
    1530449 Sgt (Nav./B) Frederick LONG RAFVR +
    1386388 Sgt (Obs.) Peter William Bouquet SANDERSON RAFVR +
    1231774 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Norman Harry WILLIAMS RAFVR +
    NZ416021 Sgt (Air Gnr.) John Walter SMITH* RNZAF +

All buried in Massicault War Cemetery, Tunisia. Coll. grave VI. A. 3-6.

* Sgt SMITH RNZAF, was born in London, England 26-2-1908. To New Zealand at an early age. Full bio can be found in FYT3/444.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th November 2012 at 22:18.

Thanks

Hi Co
    A million thanks for Info re the above I have a friend who Is related to the above airman who knew very little of what happened to him during the war,once again you have made someone very happy, I think thisb site is outstanding and all the people contributing to It deserve a medal
    Once again many thanks
    Take Care
    Harold Dummer

Thanks

Harold,
    If your friend would like to know about any previous ops with 142sqdn for his relative, let me know, as i have a copy of the ORB. You and i were in contact with each other some years ago in reference to Cyril.
    Regards...Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan
    A million thanks for contacting me again Is there any chance of you emailing me copies of the O R B s relating to the above airman as far as I know he was on his 4th Op when he lost his life, I can not put In to words my gratitude to you remembering my brother Cyril. On Sunday I am off to Melbourne In Yorkshire to the airfield from where Cyril flew from for the Rememberance Service , Last year I had the honour of laying the wreath at the memorial Which Is at the entrance to the airfield, Once again a million thanks, Take Care
    Harold.

Thanks

Hi Harold
    I'll look them up and send as soon as i can, Nice to hear from you again,
    All the best ...Alan.
    Having looked, can confirm only 3 previous ops to the one he went missing on.
    Last edited by AlanW; 7th November 2012 at 16:50.

Thanks

Hi All
    What SPEED Is this put my request on 5th November by the 7th had recieved 2 replies this Included 19 copied pages of Orbs this Is total dedication a million thanks to you all
    Take Care
    Harold Dummer

Thanks

Hello,

I am new to the forum and have only recently been trying to research the circumstances of my the death of my Great Uncle, George Arthur Sherwood, of 142 Squadron.

I have had a lot of problems identifying the aircraft serial number he was flying when he was lost on 9th April 1943. The copy I have of the ORB only lists the plane as "Wellington III C"

The account given of the mission here seems to agree with another report I had received of the serial number HF795, but I have also been told that HF795 was listed on further ops later in 1943, so am a little confused.

I recently read extracts fron the book Night Flyer/Mosquito Patchfinder which includes an account of a serviceman who arrived on 142 Squadron on 1st April 1943. Sadly he passed away in 2000 amd I am so regretting not looking into this a long time ago.

Each extra piece of information I discover helps, thank you for the infromation provided on this topic.

Richard.

Thanks

Richard HF795 it was, a Wellington III with the individual letter C.

David

Thanks

David,

Many thanks.

I so regret not pursuing these enquiries when I was younger. I have no idea if there are any survivng members of 142 Squadron who would have served with my Gt Uncle but they would into their 90's now.

Richard.